what do you when your baby cries every time you try to put him to sleep?

Hes almost 5 months old and he cries like I'm torturing him every night and now during the day! I know he's teething could that be it?

He drinks Similac Alimentum 3xday, then the rest of the time he breastfeeds, Tylenol teething/ prevacid for reflux, and we have the orajel, we try to get him to sleep mostly at night.he screams horribly, nothing we do soothes him!

We have tried, swaddling, unswaddling, breastfeeding, bottle feeding, singing, reading, bathing, using the swing, feeding walking, feeding lying on his side, putting on his sleepy time lullabies, leaving him alone for a sec. letting other people help, I feel horrible like I'm doing something wrong...But I try everything....I just don't know what to do anymore...it happens every day and lasts for at least an hour if not a few, hysterical screaming! He has a doc. app on November 17. should I wait that long?

SJ52608

Asked by SJ52608 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like my little one. She desperatly needed sleep but fought it tooth and nail - screaming like she was being horribly hurt when placed in her crib. She wouldn't sleep in the car, the stroller, her swing, out shopping, if I was in the room, if I was holding her, if I left her - she just would NOT sleep.

cont
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• In the end, I had to let her cry. That was at about 10 months if I remember right. Before she was born, I couldn't imagine anything more horrible. But by the time I tried it, really tired it, I knew I had tried all of the "gentle, loving" things and none of them worked. When something doesn't work for your child, you are only harming her and yourself if you keep trying that same failed thing. I finally accepted that my child needed to scream and cry to relax and unwind and I let her do it. Now at 16 months, she's a pretty good sleeper (except when teething or sick!). She usually lays right down for her nap and at bedtime. Always? No. Just usually. Considering how horrible her first year was, I'll gladly take "usually".
    kaycee14

• Oh - she's 26 months now, not 16 months. Sorry for the typo.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• a bottle, then a soothing bath with Lavender. then the whole house has to be calm n quiet. Some babies are just more sensitive and need the calm n quiet. I know lots of moms say they want their baby to be used to sleeping thru the noise, but for some babies it just wont work.
    strtngovrmom

Answer by strtngovrmom at 2:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• He's probably getting old enough now that he knows what you're doing and knows he doesn't want to go to bed. I still go through it with my 9 month old. It's worse if I wait till he's really tired. Basicly you have to teach him to want to go to sleep in their bed. I have made a little progress and if you want more info on that let me know. (I don't have enough room to write it all)
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 2:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• there is a new product in the market called the magic sleepsuit that is designed to help sooth babies and help them sleep better and longer. Check it out at www.magicsleepsuit.com
    Anonymous