Do you limit your teenagers Internet usage?

Until 3 weeks ago our 16 year old DD had her own laptop with Internet access that she was able to use unsupervised in her room which is in the basement of our home. It was taken away as leverage to get her to do chores around the house. She is making an effort in that dept, and we are considering letting her have it back, but we've decided that we want to limit the time. I know this is going to make her mad, but I have just decided that unlimited Internet access that is unsupervised for a 16 year old is perhaps too much. What do you all think? How do you all limit your teenager's Internet usage? or do you?

veggiemom726

Asked by veggiemom726 at 11:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes I do.They would be in house all day and I feel they need fresh air too.
    peacelovingmom

Answer by peacelovingmom at 11:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No, if he has A's in school and is nice and gets everyhting done, why not?
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 12:02 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Well, I guess the why not comes into play when you are worried about lack of sleep, and possibly some of the "influence" the Internet imposes on impressionable teen minds. I'm not too thrilled with some of the stuff my DD has managed to find online. It has had the wrong kind of influence on her. Plus, I think that between the texting on their phones, FB, IM'ing, message boards, and chat rooms, kids today are learning a darn thing about having actual Face-to-Face conversations. My DD gets annoyed when I ask her to call someone and actually TALK on the phone. It's like "can't I just Text them?" or "I'll go get on FB, and ask!" annoying!!! Yeah, I think there needs to be limits.
    veggiemom726

Comment by veggiemom726 (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My 13 year old gets 2 hours a day supervised and my nine year 1 hour a day supervised.
    tigergirl31

Answer by tigergirl31 at 4:03 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Yes, we do limit times. Each family member has a sign in on the computers so it isn't just turn it on and start playing online - its turn it on and sign into your "account" and then with in each user account - I as the admin. have set controls either for time or content under parental controls. With the time controls - my kids can't be on the computer after 11pm until 6am. Content - no porn, and they can't download anything onto the computer without me seeing what it is and inputting my password to allow it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:38 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I think you should limit times. Or at least put a parental lock on what she can get on.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:51 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• First off, allowing your 16 yo daughter unlimited, unsupervised Internet access is just asking for trouble. I have 3 teens and the only computer in the house with access is located in the living room. They can't access the internet if neither my husband nor me is at home because it's password-protected. And we give them each about an hour to 1 1/2 each day, not counting homework time, to be on it.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I dont limit my daughter but I do monitor her. My computer is in the livingroom so I can always see what she is doing. She did get a laptop from her uncle for christmas but doesnt have internet on that yet.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 10:51 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You are right to be thinking along these lines. My kids don't necessarily have limits, but they don't have unsupervised internet access.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:36 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I don't have to limit the computer time my 17 yr old is not that into it but for you taking away the computer was a good idea until more gets done around the house
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 1:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2010