Any good books to explain sex to your tween?

My son is 11 and has a million questions and I don't know what is too much information for him. Help!

babylotus

Asked by babylotus at 11:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would answer his questions the best you can, and if you don't know the answer, look it up yourself. Don't just give him a book to read, if you do that he might think you don't want to talk about it and not come to you with questions, and will possibly end up more confused than before!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:05 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• the parent is the best book because you know more about sex a book can only tell u so much.when my boies was older i sat them down and told them all about sex a to always cover it up i also show them how to put a glove on, now they come and talk to me about everything.so u are the best book to your tweens.
    ladydi121

Answer by ladydi121 at 1:04 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You could try the American Girl Collection of books. I found a book for my daughter called "The Care and Keeping of You". All about her body and the changes it's going to go through. I seem to recall seeing a couple books that were for boys. Maybe I'm remembering wrong though. But look for something like that. A book that talks all about his body. Don't just hand it to him though. Look through it with him if he's willing to do that. It can be really awkward, but if he's willing to ask questions and be totally honest with you, take advantage of it now. Establish that relationship NOW!! In a couple years, he may not be so willing and may get into some tough situations. KWIM? Be open and honest with him and remember, it's ok for you to say "I don't know the answer to that one." and then do your best to find an answer for him. Good luck!
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 1:24 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I'm in the same spot DS is 11 and has started to ask questions. We have talked some, but he says he would like a book to read and then he wants to ask me questions from there. When we do talk I find that he does better when we're in the van, because he can sit in the back and just ask away without having to look at me. He seems less embarrassed by doing this. I also give him a touch more info than he asks for and then drop the subject, this allows him to think for awhile and come back when he's ready to know more. The other thing that I have stressed with him it that this is a subject for only at home and not with his buddies.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 1:53 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Answer his questions as honestly as you can, I can't remember the book I bought my boys now but if I can find it I'll post it later. :) It was geared mainly toward boys, puberty and the various things that boys go through and questions they have. There is a chapter on girls as well. It was a good one I thought. I need to pull it out its time for my younger one to start reading.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:05 AM on Sep. 10, 2010