Any ideas on saving on college expenses?

My oldest child is a freshman in college this year. So I'm new to this. Does anyone have any good ideas about how I can save and cut corners on any college expenses? I'm talking even down to her personal everyday expenses.

bean4700

Asked by bean4700 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in

• yard sales... freecycle.org (its a free site that gives stuff away, you eiher post what u want or what u need, and someone gives it to you, kinda like a pay it forward site, i love it, i help out alot of people giving whatever i have away there...)
    fostymom

Answer by fostymom at 12:11 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• work study
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Buy used books. They have notes in them already. He needs those notes too.
    Get a meal plan that works for him. Buying lunch at subway every day is expensive.
    Make sure he has a couple of decent water bottles to refill. Buying bottled water is a joke.
    Coffe maker in his dorm, star bucks is a rip off.

College students spend a ton of money of food and drinks. Stock his dorm room fridge with stuff from cost co.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:42 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• what personal expenses does she have that aren't covered? i lived in a dorm, got on the meal plan... my only expenses were tampons! and lots of schools have TONS of easy part time jobs...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Buy used books!!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:32 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i agree with work study dont let him get credit cards. Buy in bulks and go to 1/2.com for books
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2010