can I tell you about chickie?

I have worked with her, before we had kids. Her son is a senior at a private school and he is first pick on the football team. She comes into work now about these amazing football games where her kid made a touch down. My son has never been interested in football, but he is so smart. he is a sophomore and he gets good grades. Why do I feel like a failure as a parent when she starts talking about son at work and his touchdowns? Someone remind me that success in life is not about being in football and being able to score the most touchdowns,,,and in the end get a scholarship to a great college. Remind me there is more to life then football and sports scholarships! Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't even like football...neither does my husband. But it seems like especially this time of year, everyone else is football crazy! Don't let her get to you. Keep in mind that your son will always be smart, football doesn't last for most players. Very few make it to professional status. More importantly than football or grades is character. If your son is a good person, I would be more proud of that!
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:27 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Every child is special and good at something. Sports scholarships are wonderful, as well as educational scholarships. I don't understand why this bothers you so much. She is proud of her child and it sounds like you are proud of yours too.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 12:24 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• When she starts bragging about her son, you should say something positive about your son, like if he gets an A on a hard test, or list any of his recent accomplishments! It will reinforce your pride in him :)
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:26 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would like for my boys to grow up and be like your son,smart.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:23 AM on Sep. 10, 2010