Toddler backpack/harness

I am taking my 16 month old to a crowded fair next week and he likes to walk. I want him to be able to walk instead of be in his stroller all day, and he gets frusterated if you hold his hand all the time and its pretty taxing on out backs. (im 5'8 and DH is 5'10 so we arent exactly short). What do you guys think of those backpack harnesses? Functional for crowded places? Or just rediculous? I had never thought of it but my MIL saw one on a kiddo and thought it may be a good idea.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I plan on using one this weekend at the zoo. Target has the monkey backpacks for like 11 bucks. I like feeling I can give my 15 month old freedom as well as knowing she is safe and isnt running off into harms way.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 11:15 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Personally, I think they are functional. They give your child a bit of freedom and independence without compromising their safety. You can keep a hold on your child without having to break your back. To me, it's a win-win. Granted, I've only used the little monkey/backpack harness we have once....but that's only because I forgot about it until this moment.

Be prepared, though. Here on CM, there will be mothers who bless you out for daring to treat your child like a dog on a leash. *eye roll*
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:25 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• LOL. See?

Unless your child wears a collar and you're hooking a "leash" to it.....they aren't comparable.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:27 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I think they are great in crowds. I would also bring a stroller because he will get tired easily and will want to sleep. Or a sling or backpack carrier is an option too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:25 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Perfect place for them to be used. Gve the ltitle one a bit of freedom and easy on your back. I certainly would not want to carry around a child that probably ways in the mid 20's all day long. That would give me a back ache also. Go for it. You are keeping you little one safe and tell everyone to mind their own business.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:29 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I use them on my kids. Its not going to be my kids on the 10 o'clock news for an amber allert.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 12:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• The backpack harnesses are great plus you can stick emergency snacks and drinks in there for him.
    conweis

Answer by conweis at 12:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I have one it is great I love it so does my DD.;
    nikkole42

Answer by nikkole42 at 1:20 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Dogs go on a leash. Not kids.

I would use a carrier and carry him on your back up high so he can see what is going on. He may like to walk, but he will only walk for like 15-20 minutes and want to be held or ride anyway.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:25 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I plan on bringing the stroller as well..I guess i should have mentioned it :) And im prepared for all the answers i get..lol..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:29 AM on Sep. 10, 2010