landlords?

this month i didnt have money for my electric so i had to move to my friends, i told my landlord i was so sorry, i had NO money, he started going off on my boyfriend telling my man how much of a pice of shit he was and cussing and calling my boyfriend names and saying how he was going to swe us! can we go to court and tell them how he treated us? would it help if i said how he treated us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• Probably not. you will still be responsible for any financial contract that you had with him. You didn't stop paying because of the way you were treated, you were treated badly (and yes he was wrong) because you stopped paying, so that really doesn't have anything to do with the money issue.

I'm not a lawyer though, so you might want to check with a lawyer.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:25 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• yep
    MommieOfOnly2

Answer by MommieOfOnly2 at 1:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You stole from this person. You took away his ability to rent to someone who would pay. It is the same as if you went to work and worked for a month and your employer did not pay you. In that case the employer would be stealing your work. You stole from your landlord. Why in the world do you think that is okay.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:31 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i have seen if you broke your contract then you have to pay out the rest of the lease if they are going to sue and pretty much manners isn't really part of the contract so i am not sure, but you can try
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 8:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• As a landlord, I have to say "What were you thinking?".

Sometimes I think that people think that landlords don't have bills to pay, and if you are late with your rent, that's ok - what difference does it make?

Or if you move out with no notice, do you think that does not AFFECT us? Just like the OP said, if you went to a job, and worked, and you show up for work one day and your boss says "sorry, I just didn't plan things very well...you are just going to have to accept that I can't pay you...but don't worry, I found someone else to do your job." and then went online and asked "do you think I should sue my former employee because she was really RUDE when I told her I wouldn't pay her and didn't need her anymore." WHAT WOULD YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 10:11 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I have to say I agree with everyone else, everyone thinks landlords can just accept you not paying, when the truth I can say that to the bank without consequences, If you don't pay your rent or you walk out it can put your landlord in a bad position.I am currently in a very unpleasant situation because a renter decided since they were getting a divorce they would just move out and not pay. SO now the bank owns the house because they didn't bother to tell me and I could not re-rent it.

All the judge is going to say to the Landlord is he should have better ethics than to behave that way. and then tell you to pay.
    MrsWeathers

Answer by MrsWeathers at 10:52 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You can tell the judge what happened, but chances are the landlord would win. Most require a one month written notice before moving out and that's only if you're lease has expired.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• did you talk to him and explain the situation before you just moved? Most of the time, if it's not a normal occurance, LLs will work with you. I say most the time, because we thought we had great LL. When we moved in, I told them that we would pay the first month, security dep. equal to one month, and one month in advance. I did this (and also explained to them) because we moved in with insurance claim money, and it wasn't a lot and I knew it would last forever. That doing it this way we were always a month ahead, that way even if we ended up being a few days "late" that technically we weren't/ This is the basis that they agreed to rent to us on, however, when they wrote the lease thay wrote it in as the last month, and not one month ahead, for the "ease of understanding" but it was verbally agree'd that it was a month in advance. We got behind when the LL rented out a garage in the back and (cont
    mama2three717

Answer by mama2three717 at 12:48 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• all of a sudden our electric cost sky rocketed. So we thougth maybe it was the meter, paid the next two months of high bills before they could get a tech out to look at the meter and we found out that the garage the LL had rented out was on OUR electric bill, and the tenant was using it as a mechanic shop. Always had lights, tools, stereo etc. running. So two months before our lease was up, I called and told them, look because of the electric bill (he knew that his tenants garage was on our bill) we have a shut off for $200, I have the rest of rent and can have you the $200 in a week, can I pay this elec. bill so we don't get shut off and pay you the remaining $200 in a week. He said we'll work something out, let me talk to 'wfe' i'll call u back. Ok, never called back. The next day he came and put up a for rent sign and said we had to be out. Rent wasn't even DUE YET! we were still in July, and we were talking of Aug.
    mama2three717

Answer by mama2three717 at 12:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• HE took US to court AND WON!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it! Even after showing the judge pics of the ceiling that leaked in three different spots that the LL refused to fix. One of the leaks even came though a light fixture. So depending on your county and the judge..... the courts probably won't side for you, even for him talking to you like that
    mama2three717

Answer by mama2three717 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 11, 2010