Night terrors or bad dreams?

My 3.5 year old wakes up multiple times a night crying and calling for me. She isn't always awake. Her Dr said it was normal and there was nothing I could do. It just breaks my heart to hear her calling for me. Anyone else have this experience?

Ashlynnsmommy07

Asked by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:25 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My brother used to have night terrors. He would "wake up" screaming and crying and be totally inconsoleable for a while, usually could not tell us what started it. He wasn't with it enough to even make sense during the event. Sounds to me like your dd is simply having nightmares.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 1:52 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• my son started to have night terrors at the young age of 4 mos old, I totally know what you are going throgh. I was told a steady night time is great. Never wake them or pick them up while they are having one, just get down on there level and try and hold them if you can. That and it will pass. My son has both night terrors and nightmares and he now only has them maybe once every 6 months. But it use to be pure hell. He would months everynight having them, he went from 4mos-6mos, then 12mos-14mos, then 18mos-19mos, then he has them for a few months when he turned 2, and that was the last big long one. Now he is 3 and half and he just had one a couple of weeks ago, but its rare now.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 4:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I understood convulsions that are not linked to seizure activity are sympomatic of night terrors, so I would just think nightmares....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:31 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• yes, my dd is 4 and does it a few times a week, but never wakes up and doesnt remember the next morning. i just tell her its ok and she stops.
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 10:38 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My 2yo does this and when he does, he comes and sleeps with us and then he is fine.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:43 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• yes... totally normal... i just calm my girls down... if they are awake i talk to them about it if they are willing, otherwise we do what we can BEFORE bed time to keep them comfy... they are sure that the baby gate keeps the monsters out of their room... so they still have a baby gate in their door... by their choice...
    find something that works for your LO>
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:45 PM on Sep. 11, 2010