What do you do to make a meal stretch?

Times are hard and more moms are budgeting...mom23ks question had me thinking...what do you do to make a meal last a few days?
Here are some things I do...

I get a 7 lb chicken oven stuffer. The first night I make the chicken roasted in the oven. The next morning I make a stock from the bones for soup that night, the third day I use the rest of the leftovers in a stir-fry or a pot-pie.

I also make a meatloaf one night then the next night cut up the leftovers into bite size pieces and add it to sauce for pasta.

Another I do is make a big london broil with potatoes and veggies. The next night I use leftover meat for a stir-fry and the next night I use the rest of the leftovers (potatoes, veggies and meat) and make a hash or egg pie.

What about you?

njmommy2boys

Asked by njmommy2boys at 1:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Food & Drink

• When I make stock, I make a huge batch. The butcher down the street from me saves backs and necks for me, which I can get for $0.69/lb, and they're great for soup stock. Add celery and onion and I'm good to go! You can do the same with beef bones too...ask your local butcher or even the meat department at the grocery store. You can roast the bones or backs/necks along with the onions for more flavor. I have a huge stock pot I got at Wal-mart for about $24, so I can make about a dozen quarts of stock at once. You can can it in canning jars or freeze it. From there I can make chicken noodle soup, tortilla soup, vegetable soup, beef stew, etc.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I make a big batch of chicken tortilla soup for one night, and we melt cheese into it the second night and mix it in with rice and refried beans.

I don't buy frozen veggies, I have a steamer that cost me $5 at a garage sale - and I grab two handfuls each night of a variety of veggies and steam them.

We bought a huge bag of rice at Sam's for $10 - and we cook that in the steamer - lasts about 3 months. 3x a week.

I make homemade meatballs, but a huge batch, and one night we have pasta, the next night we have meatball subs. Oh, and don't use expensive sugary sauce. Buy stewed tomatoes and garlic and parm and mix it together.
    FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 1:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I do the same with chickens, and turkeys. Roasted, soup, pot pie or flautas or enchiladas.

Also, you can get pork shoulder (called pork butt for some strange reason!) pretty darned cheap and make a ton of things with a single roast. I get a large one and have them cut it in half. Then I like to smoke it on my grill, but it can be done in the oven as long as you remember low and slow.
    When the meat's done, it shreds apart with ease, and is great for pulled pork sandwiches, carnitas, tacos, fried rice, etc. You can freeze the other half for use later, and one roast gets you about 4-6 meals for 4.

cont..
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• owww.... you sould send me some recipies ladys I need some ideas!!! Were broke!
    kaylaylshfr

Answer by kaylaylshfr at 6:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Usually if I make soups or stews I will make a large batch and freeze what is left for future meals. This includes my chili and chili con carne. I also will make a big batch of beans and freeze the extra for future use. I also buy my meat in bulk which ends up cheaper for the cuts I get. I also make sure I have plenty of sides/veggies so that the main dish goes further. A lot of my frozen leftovers get a face lift when I remake. For example my chili I will sometimes reheat then bake with a cornbread top, makes a tasty chili pie. I do various different things to stretch a buck since we are soon to be a family of 5 on one income.

Maidenwolf

Answer by Maidenwolf at 9:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I do the same with the chickens. roast them,s oup them, chicken pot pie them. I also make a rice bake with chicken I love. Roast beef with potatoes and carrots one night, BBQ Beef sandwhiches another night. The stock and any left over meat Beef Veggie soup.
    TinasTribe

Answer by TinasTribe at 6:37 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I'll make a big batch of refried beans and that will be used for bean burritos at supper, then left overs are used for my lunch for the next two or three days.

I also use half the meat called for in a recipe...instead of 1lb of ground meat in chili, I use 1/2 lb. I've been serving smaller meat portions, and more cheaper veggies.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 12:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2008