How do I get my husband to understand?

I've recently started seeing a psychiatrist and was diagnosed with severe anxiety and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). I am pregnant with our second child, so medication isn't much of an option at the moment. I have severe breakdowns quite often and the nightmares are always keeping me awake, making things worse. My husband is always getting mad or upset with me and says I need to quit acting like a child, even though sometimes I don't even realize what I've done til it's done. How do I get through to him and get him to understand that I need his help and support while I'm trying to get through all of this? I feel that I'm being disciplined for something I can't seem to control and that I'm all alone, not even knowing what's going on in my own head. It scares me.

MAMA890910

Asked by MAMA890910 at 1:53 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm sorry to hear that your going throutgh this. I was diagnosed with PTSD after I was kidnapped and raped, so I understand where your coming from. It's a very difficult thing to get someone to understand that you have no controll, that your body and mind can just take over and totally change your behavior. Maybe you could try and get him to go to the DR with you, sometimes they will listen to a professional better than they will ever hear you. Please know that you are not alone and that with time thing will get better. As time goes on you will learn your triggers, how to know when an attack is coming on and how to handle it.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 2:01 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I am sorry you are going through all that. IMO that is very imature and selfish of him. He is obviously aware of your condition and to say those things to you are just wrong... I would just tell him how you feel. That is your husband, he should be the #1 person you should be able to go to with anything and have his support. Hope you get better soon mama!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:06 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• it will be hard for hubby to understand what your going through ,most men don't want to hear anything is wrong with their mate or he is in denial .the best way is take him to your next appointment and let him hear for himself .you might find ways that you both can live with ptsd and being pregnant does not help you are already stress out .and good luck
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:10 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• id say try to explain or get a writing from ur therapist or whatever explaining whats going on and give it to him
    mamades4

Answer by mamades4 at 3:00 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Maybe if he saw a video on it. Explaining what happens to people with PPD. My husband had to go through it himself before he understood. I'm thankful both of us are Bi-Polar. We are able to look out for each other. But he wasn't always this way. He's say, 'Get over it." I would have loved to! For me I found the right combination of medication. Of course it took a few years. Now though, they have a lot of great stuff out there once your baby is born. Remember, if you're not feeling right, call your Dr. As far as hubby, take him to the Dr, Psychictrist, or a Therapist with you to explain the in's and outs. Also, there is a lot of good information on-line if he wants to know the best way to help you or encourage you. If not. Ask God to give him the understanding and compassion for you & the love!!!
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 3:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Arrange a therapy session for the two of you so he can hear it from an expert.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 6:48 AM on Sep. 10, 2010