Where did this line come from? adult content

I was just wondering. This line pops up everytime I get pregnant. There is a dark line going from the top of my belly all the way down to my vagina. Not hair just a dark line. Does anyone know where this comes from?

AngelEyva

Asked by AngelEyva at 1:54 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's linea nigra and is simply a line of pigmentation that occurs in some pregnant women. It's caused by pregnancy hormones and will disappear a few months after you have your baby.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 1:57 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It's called the linea nigra (dark line). It's very normal, and goes away after pregnancy (which you know). It's likely just due to hormones. Your skin changes during pregnancy, and this is one of those changes some women experience. And there isn't a thing you can do about it. =/
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:58 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• What causes linea nigra? Pregnancy hormones, which are also responsible for your newly darkened areolas and freckles as well as an impressive variety of other skin anomalies, are behind this weird little stripe which you've earned just by becoming pregnant. This linea nigra, literally, the "dark line" is likely to be more pronounced if you have darker skin, but never fear: It fades a few months after your baby is born. Sit tight. After your baby is born, the line should gradually fade all on its own. Spending too much time working on your tan can intensify skin discolorations. Use sunblock (at least SPF 15), or keep your belly under wraps. There's some evidence to indicate that skin discolorations are related to folic acid deficiency. Make sure you're eating a healthy pregnancy diet with plenty from green leafy vegetables, oranges, and whole-wheat breads and cereals (you're getting plenty in your pregnancy supplement, too).
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 2:02 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I wish that's all I got. I have stretch marks like crazy on my belly. lol
    jojolicious220

Answer by jojolicious220 at 2:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• lol I got stretch marks but I am using this stuff thats taking them away, I have less stretch marks now then I did before. 18 more days till the little one comes out on C section day. I been observing the belly and noticed the dark line, it totally gets crooked the lower it gets. I was like hmm since I have no idea why this line always shows up at the end of my pregnancy and then goes away almost as soon as the baby is out is like super wierd, mind as well ask CafeMoms lol. thank for the info :-)
    AngelEyva

Comment by AngelEyva (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2010