What would you do if...

you woke up one day, the rapture had happened in the middle of the night, and you were left behind? Please no smartass answers, just, for once, be serious!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• jump for joy that all the christians were finally gone, and the rest of us are free to live our lives as we see fit!!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Wow, what a question. From a Christian standpoint, I would obviously be crushed because I'd realize that I was never sincere in my beliefs or confession/asking God for salvation. It would be a wake up call for sure! But, I know that I would have a second chance to make things right with God even if it meant living through the tribulation.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 1:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I'd probably hear myself say "OH SH*T. This doesn't look good. I thought I had things covered but Obviously God didn't agree"

scary thought

Answer by admckenzie at 1:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• my2.5boys, you obviously skipped over the part about smartass answers. I'm going to have to call your bluff. If the rapture were to actually take place, you'd have to face the fact that all the Christians were right - and your children, if they are young, would be gone. So are we to believe that you'd be "jumping for joy" when you woke up and found your children missing?
    Anonymous

• When I was about 8 I had watched a movie about the rapture and one day when I came home it was almost as if that scene was being played out.. I couldn't find my mom, the water was left running in the sink, and it scared the bejeebies out of me. Now 35 years later... if I woke up and had been left behind.. after getting over the ache of knowing I missed going to be with Jesus... I would do whatever it takes to make sure I still get to heaven. However, I know where my relationship is with God and that I have been saved by the blood of His Son Jesus and I look forward to that day and pray that others will see the love of Christ in me and desire to have a relationship with Him.

.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• cont.

My2.5boys... at least you didn't post annonymously. And you may not like us Christians.. and actually with us here you're still free to live as you see fit.. i can't make you change the way you live.. I can only let you know rather you want my prayers or not i do pray for you that you along with other non-Christians (many who are friends of mine) will give God a chance
    bonn777

• I kind of have to go with Anon on this one. From a purely hypothetical standpoint, IF the rapture happened, that would be more than enough proof to anyone who doesn't believe in it, that they were wrong. Many non-Christians would wake up to find their small children missing - and no matter how much they claim they'd be happy to have all the Christians gone, we know that the reality (hypothetically) would be MUCH, MUCH different.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• mommytobe625: the word rapture isn't actually in the bible but it means to be caught up.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Oh, and to answer the original question: I'd cry, have a panic attack, cry some more, and then wonder what the heck I had done wrong. I'd probably tear through the house to get to my Bible, and do some serious soul-searching. Ugh, what a terrible thought. I imagine I'd also be glued to the television and the news programs, since I can't even fathom the chaos the world would be experiencing.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• For those who may not know what the rapture is and here's scriptural reference
    1 Thessalonians 4:13-17

13, "But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not even as others which have no hope."
    14, "For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him."
    15, "For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep."
    16, "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice if the archangel, and with the trump of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first."
    17, "Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2008