My 5 mths old needs to be held allll the time:( people tell me I spoiled him and should have left him by his own to get used to be by himself !!is that true?

nance209

Asked by nance209 at 2:01 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When dd was really little like that I held her ALOT. I had to work, so the time I was home I enjoyed with her. Now that she is almost 9 months old and crawling she throws a fit if she's not on the floor! As they learn to explore they will grow out of it. As long as you are doing what you are comfortable with that is all that matters!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 9:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• No, it's not true. Babies are biologically designed to have a powerful need to be held. You can condition them not to need it, but babies do MUCH better when they are held as often as they need. Have you tried using a baby carrier or sling? It's a LIFESAVER for me. I put my babies down sometimes, but I don't let them cry. If they cry they need something, so I pick them up. My daughter who needed held like that is now 2 and barely gives me hugs any more lol. Your baby will grow out of this need when he becomes mobile.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:10 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You're doing a fine job. If it helps, get a baby sling and wear your baby!

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• No way.... at that age they just want some love.... They just want to be close to you... I would say once they become a little more mobile I would cut back... I held my son ALL the time...and he is not spoiled in that area at all! He is 3 now and he's "too cool" to give me all the hugs and kisses, it's sad.....lol lol
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:17 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You haven't spoiled your baby you have taught him that he is loved and important to you and while you hold him and cuddle him he learns about trust. If you need your hands free to do other stuff you may want to consider baby wearing. http://wearyourbaby.com/ is a great site on learning to make inexpensive baby carriers and also provides lots of instruction on positions for comfortable carrying.

bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 2:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It has been said that you can not spoil a baby. It is great that you hold him alot, however he does need tummy time so he can exercise his muscles. I hold my baby alot, but I also make sure she gets plenty of time to roll around and play by herself. It helps me when i need to get stuff done.
    jet360

Answer by jet360 at 2:04 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• no babies that young needs you for comfort dont leave baby alone
    eliesmommy1989

Answer by eliesmommy1989 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2010