Can you not know you having twins???

I was stretching tonight as I always do to let my little angel move around cause she likes that. However, when I did it this time, I felt her in the middle cause that is her favorite spot and I what I think is another baby on my right! It was hard and it felt like a back! But my left side was soft as a pillow!

The 2 sonograms I got only saw 1 baby and everytime they hear a heartbeat they only hear one. So could I be just freaking out or anyone else ever been pregnant with 2 and not know? How can I try to get my doctor to check to see if I have 2 if she always only feels and hears 1? Cause if it is 2 then, I really really need to know!!!

velvetnbrielle

Asked by velvetnbrielle at 2:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Why not just explain your concerns to your Care provider. They should be willing to take another Ultrasound to confirm one or 2 babies.

Having been pregnant 7 times I think I would know if I had twins by 20 weeks or so. I dont really like ultrasounds personally but it would be nice to know if twins were expected!

Good Luck momma! Sometimes our instincts are right on.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:20 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• They would've seen or heard a second baby by now. You can ask your doc, but it's REALLY unlikely.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:21 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• maybe it was the placenta? it is all I can think of
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:21 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It's really rare, but it can happen. If they're positioned right on top of each other sometimes it's never seen until later and their heart beats could be in sync. But it's REALLY rare and I've only heard of that happening oh... like, 20 years ago.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It is a rare occasion that the twin cannot be seen during an ultrasound because they are hiding behind the visible one. If you were to have an amnio then they might find the other baby then but I have heard of stories that even that isn't always 100%. There are always rare instances.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 2:46 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It can happen but it is rare. If your dr won't do another ultra sound go to one of those prolife pregnancy centers almost all of them have an ultra sound machine and they love using them.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• hmmm my niece went to the dr and they heard 2 heart beats but couldn't find the second baby so dr said they will check again in a month and see if the other one showes up
    Joey07

Answer by Joey07 at 3:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• my ultrasound tech said you can "look through" anything you want on the ultrasound and showed me she went through my babys arms to see the face and through her head, so if they could look through theyd see a baby behind the other and if youve had a vaginal sono the see all the way around your uterus so nothing can hide, i asked bc twins run in our family that was my first ultrasound. my mom didnt know she was having twins even after an us but that was 26 years ago
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 9:44 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• yes sometimes babys hide behind each other and the dr can only tell by a doppler to get to heart beats
    eliesmommy1989

Answer by eliesmommy1989 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I know someone who didn't know until her 20 week ultrasound that she was having twins. But it's pretty rare to not find out during that ultrasound. Talk with your OB/GYN and see whether it could be possible.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 3:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2010