Is there any natural things a person with PPD can do?

My daughter-in-law has Post Partum Depression. She's 20 yrs old. You can't tell her what to do, not that I want to. But I know she is suffering and making her family suffer with her. Is there any foods that help calm the savage beast in her? Or natural suppliments? Please help. I want to visit with her but I have to walk on egg shells with my words because she takes offense to them. She's very sensitive right now. I don't want to upset her. But I don't want her to run over me like a mack truck and turn my son against me. She's already made it where I'm not invited to family meals or game night any more. What can I do to support her and encourage her?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 2:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Health

• Ask her to go for walks with you.. Exercise and sunshine are great ways to battle PPD and if you keep conversation light and make NO comments about how she mothers (don't even offer advice) then you might just find her warming up to you.

I wouldn't recommend recommending any of these other things, but if she ASKS thne you'll have an answer :)

St. John's Wort is safe for breastfeeding and can be quite effective against depression. It can cause a sensitivity to sunlight, so be careful.

Kava kava root is good for anxiety, but is not safe for breastfeeding.

Talk therapy works for a lot of women... just having a confidante even.

VALIDATION. Reinforce that she is a good mother and is loved. Don't pressure her or undermine her parenting.

If she is unable to control the PPD and is miserable or becomes a danger to herself or her baby, medication may be needed, but that's not your call to make.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Thanks for the advice. I don't get in the way of my son or his wifes lifestyle or the way they choose to raise their children. I don't give any advide on the needs of the children or the way she acts. What I'm seeing is an observation. My son is the one who said she has PPD. He's concerned. Doesn't know how he can help. I just listen. I have enough with my own life to know not to play god in others unless they ask for my advice.. Besides she gets it enough from her mom and sisters! I was just hoping there was something simple she could do to help and not overwhelm her. Appreciate your words of encouragement!
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 2:52 AM on Sep. 10, 2010