ultrasound baby weight accuracy?

I'm 38 weeks and 2 days a long. I had an ultrasound done today because I've been measuring off by 2 weeks for pretty much my whole pregnancy. The ultrasound tech said the baby weighs 7 lbs 10 oz. That's not small at all. She said I must just be carrying well. For those of you who had ultrasounds late in pregnancy how accurate was the weight with your newborn?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• This is courtesy of my aunt who is an OB (I asked this question when I was pregnant a year ago. I had 3D Ultrasound done).

Ultrasound weight can vary from about 4 pounds less to 4 pounds more than the estimated birth weight that they give you when doing the sonogram.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:32 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Ultrasound weights are only estimates unfortunately. They can be off by one, two or even more pounds. None of mine were correct. They were all under their actual birth weights. Your doctor and the ultrasound tech should have let you know that these are just estimates not exact numbers.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 2:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I am going to say no... They told me my son was probably going to be no bigger then 8lbs. And when he came he was 9lbs 10z.. might not seem like that much of a difference but I felt it!! LOL
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I was told give or take 1lb ....my baby was measureing 7lb and I had an 8lb. with the 1st one he was showing 7lb and he was 7lb
    Joey07

Answer by Joey07 at 3:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• With my son they told me he was measuring big, I don't remember exactly what weight they predicted, but he came out 7lb 15oz. With my dd they told me she was measuring small they guessed a little over 6lbs, she came out 8lbs 1oz.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 7:43 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Mine was pretty close. They estimated around 8 lbs at 38 weeks - she was 7 lbs 12 oz when she was born at 39 weeks.

Answer by missanc at 8:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I've always been told that ultrasounds that late in pregnancy aren't always accurate. They can be off by 2 lbs either way.
    I know a woman who was told she was having a 10lb baby, and needed to be induced early. The baby came out weighing 7lbs.
    AMZF812

Answer by AMZF812 at 9:11 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I was told my son has IUGR (intra uterine growth retardation) based on the ultrasound. He didn't. They estimated that he would weigh 5lbs and he was 6 lbs 8 oz.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:36 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I was told at 36 weeks that he was 8lb 11oz already and since they gain a half a lb a week that at 39 weeks they were going to induce and they expected him to be 10lb 3oz. He was born at 39 weeks 1 day weighing 8lb 8oz...I went through 37 hours of labor and ended up with a c section cause thier guess was waaay off. Ill never trust it again..lol...I know alot of people it was wrong for as well.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• For most people I know it was way off--and it always said their babies were much bigger than they actually were. I wouldn't put a lot of trust into a late-term ultrasound weight.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 3:27 PM on Sep. 10, 2010