How do I know if being rehydrated stopped my contractions or the shot did?

I went to the ER for pains in the upper part of my vagina. At the ER, they hooked me up to the monitor and watched for a while. I was having regular contractions. 2cm dilated and the day before I was at 1. After being on the monitor for 3 hours (the doctor had to rush off because another woman came in and was giving birth, I got to hear her precious newborns first cries :D ) the doctor finally came back. She said I was dehydrated and figured that's what was causing my contractions. Here's the part I don't understand... I thought usually they were suppose to give you fluids to see if that would stop the contractions or not. They gave me fluids, but also gave me a shot to stop the contractions and sent me home. So..... how do I know if the fluids are what stopped the contractions or not?

Pretty much, when this shot wears off could my contractions come back?

Micro_Kitty

Asked by Micro_Kitty at 2:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• from what i've read, drugs they use to stop contractions aren't very effective. what it terbutaline, or whatever it is? she probably just gave you the shot just in case it wasn't dehydration, but those drugs do have side effects... i would google cochrane collaboration + whatever drug you were given. i was given procardia but it didn't stop my labor. GL!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• depends how far along you are sometimes drs do stop contractions but if your already dilated they probably didnt do that
    eliesmommy1989

Answer by eliesmommy1989 at 10:31 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Thanks for your answers. Even with the shot a few hours later I started having contractions again except these were very irregular. I drank some water and rested in bed for a while... they slowly started to ease off until they finally quit. I can't remember what the nurse said was the name of the stuff they gave me. I have an appointment with my doctor Monday so hopefully everything is fine.
    Micro_Kitty

Comment by Micro_Kitty (original poster) at 6:11 AM on Sep. 11, 2010