How can I break my 3yr old son of biting?

he bites everyone and just dont stop its more severe if he wants something n dont get it.

mamades4

Asked by mamades4 at 2:53 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son was a biter and it was soo hard!!!!! I tried everything spanking, biting him back, smacking his mouth, time out, i used to even spray vinegar in his mouth ( per doctors advice) and nothing worked! What i did was when he bit someone i would make him hold a wet wash cloth on the person he bit so he could see the other kid crying and he could under stand the pain he caused. He stopped within 2 weeks of starting that. Good luck!
    teresalangston

Answer by teresalangston at 3:03 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• One of the reasons kids need parents nearby...

Generally this (the really intense biting) is more pronounced in kids who are not very verbal... they're trying to communicate and when they get frustrated they're as likely to use their mouths to do it, but since they can't talk it comes out as screaming, crying and biting.

The best way I know of dealing with this is to forget the silly advice about 'kids need kids their own age' which is pure b.s. to begin with... but to keep him with kids who are older --enough older to be able to anticipate his biting, and smart enough to be able to put a finger on his forehead and gently but firmly push his head away.

Whenever there are younger kids around him, the adult in charge needs to understand that the first priority is the safety of other kids, and your kid's self-esteem, and be close enough to him at all times to stop him from getting frustrated enough or close enough to bite.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My son nearly went through this, I'm not sure why. But one day he bit the side of my waist, I popped his hand and told him harshly no and why we dont. Now he is delayed verbel but he can understand. And I haved used this method when I want him to know when something isn't okay.

However my advice is pick something and stick with it, you cant keep changing it up on him one punishment for this and then stick with that punishment for this act until he gets it.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 4:07 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• bite him back
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 10:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• When I was little, I bit someone at preschool, and my dad bit me when I got home, lol, not hard, but enough that I knew it hurt. and I never did it again!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• timeout or if you could bite him back, but that seems a little extreme.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• seems like a lack of dicipline... and positive reactions from adults...
    praise the "not biting" reactions he has... even if they aren't the "most appropriate"... he may be yelling which isn't "nice" but he's not biting...
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2010