Do you think child support should be lowered or stopped when a parent is in jail.

In one of the groups there is a question about this. I feel that the child should not suffer because the parent committed a crime and has to be incarcerated. There is also an attitude that the state (all of us combined) should take care of the family and not expect to be reimbursed when the parent is released. I am appalled that people think that the state should pay for jail and support the kids of these criminals and not be reimbursed when the person is released.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 3:56 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No way.. Why should the child loose out cuz the parent is a loser... they should be held just as responsible... There was one case I knew of (back home) where the women tried to seek CS from the loser dad who got arrested on tons of charges, but he ended up not having to pay ANYTHING while he was locked up... Yea, lets give criminals a free pass to not be responsible for their children...Nobody put that person behind bars but themselves, why should the "good" people have to pay for their dumb actions...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:09 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Being reimbursed when the parent is released no but my friend ended up in jail for 4 1/2 yrs and his child support had a stop on it and then when he got out from that date forward it was right back to where it left off. My state is very strict about child support and what not. If it's paid of in a amount of time you will be put in jail for it.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:07 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My dad had to pay child support even though he was incarcerated. The did lower it, and gave him some time to make it up. Just because he chose to make wrong choices doesn't mean the child should suffer anymore, than they were already. Your parental responsibilities don't stop because you chose to commit felonies.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 4:58 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Why should they get a break bc they are in jail, imo they should have to work while in prison and pay what they owe...and yes there are jails that pay for work done thats how some inmates buy things they want from the jail store instead of what the state provides..my sd's mother does this and she had to pay her cs
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 6:46 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i think that child support can be stopped but not forgotton... of course the jailed parent cant make payments cause they are in jail with no job. but once out has to start to repay and catch up with missed payments. its not the childs fault that the parent went to jail that money belongs to the baby.
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 6:51 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• SC puts parents in jail for arrearages. They put working parents who are PAYING their child support in jail for arrearages. It's an automatic 4-6 months.

Regular support AND arrearages continue to accumulate while the parent is in jail.

When the parent is released they 'might' get a minimum wage job ~ because they now have a record ~ and are further behind.

SC reviews each case quarterly. There are men here who go to jail for 8 months out of each year, work 1-4 months, and who NEVER get caught up, or who don't ever get caught up until their 'children' are in their 30s.

Jail only helps if the parent has enough money to pay the arrearages to avoid going to jail at all. Those who don't are stuck in a never ending mess, and NO child is helped. I've watched this happen for years, and it is nuts.

For a parent who commits a crime though, I agree with the rest of you.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:27 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You mean the paying parent or the receiving parent? IF the paying parent goes to jail it should just keep adding up.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• you dont get paid in jail, so how could ya pay CS?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:36 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• "Why should the child loose out cuz the parent is a loser"

This^^^

I could care less about the loser parent in jail. But a child shouldn't suffer because of it. I don't mind paying for children in need. I would rather my tax dollars go to a child in need than a bunch of other places it ends up.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:51 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Does the child no longer need to eat while the parent is in jail?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:48 AM on Sep. 10, 2010