How much does your newborn eat and how often?

My daughter is 13 days old. She has already put herself up to 4oz every 4 hours. Now since yesterday she has been wanting to eat every 3 1/2 hours and 4 oz. I have a 5 year old daughter and I can't remember how often or how much she ate. I think we are going to have to start her on rice ceareal because she is still so hungry after feedings and I know we had to do that with our oldest daughter. Any advice?

sammorr

Asked by sammorr at 2:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Talk to your baby's pediatrician but DO NOT give her rice cereal at 13 days. All that is doing is filling her up with junk, when she needs the nutrients from formula. Wait until she's 4 months, unless her doctor says otherwise.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Unless your pediatrician says otherwise DO NOT GIVE YOUR BABY RICE CEREAL! She cant sit up and eat it like a older baby and giving a baby rice cereal through their bottle is is just going to make her fat. So just talk to your doctor. my son was about 2 weeks old and ate 4 oz every 3 hours. Its actually very normal.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Giving your baby rice ceral in a bottle wont make them fat and if it was junk they wouldnt make it for babies. as long as you dont give them to much (my doctor recommended a tsp for every two onces) I had to do it with my son because he was wanting 8 ozs every 3 to 4 hours from the day we can home. he as always been an active baby and he still eats like crazy now that he is 10 1/2 months but he is by no means fat he is only in the 50% for his wieght. they told me to figure about an oz an hour at first.
    WillaKaye

Answer by WillaKaye at 2:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I wouldn't use rice cereal until at least 4-6m.. Actually, I've never used it but I'm a BF momma. I think just feed her on demand. :) I know mine, as newborns, ate every 1.5-2 hours!
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 3:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i just had a class and they said that babies go through growth spurts 4 one and they also know when they need to eat. most new babies eat every 2-4 hours depending on the baby! Good luck
    CivicChik2907

Answer by CivicChik2907 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I think my son was getting about 3 or 3.5 ounces every 4 hours. He's 10 weeks now and eats 5 ounces sometimes every 2 hours!! I feed on demand though, so it varies throughout the day. But I think your baby's normal!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• At 13 days I would not use cereal, but my little man made us broke with formula. I was breastfeeding and also using formula after he was 2 weeks old. I was pumping my milk. With both he was eating over 40 oz a day. Now at 8 months he still is a little piggy, but only weight around 17 lbs. With all of that said, if your child is still hungry feed her more. The worst thing that will happen is that she will spit up. It happens once in a while. Soon she will be biger, and have a better schedule. :) Good luck with your blessing
    hoopys19

Answer by hoopys19 at 12:50 AM on Oct. 16, 2008