referring to the question about is hell real?

has anyone questioned a pastor or priest about this question? i am real curious to know what they say the original meanings of these scriptures mean when they refer to a place of torment. does everyone that isn't saved go there? why would someone torture me cause im not sure if i really believe in him? i mean its not like god has really shown himself to be without a doubt real.how do we know other religions aren't real and the bible is just a story book? anyone with logical answers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I beg to differ I am sorry , but yes , those things are true,
    GOD does love you and everyone else , but He does not like sin , He wants to have all of us come to him, those who reject him will spend eternity in Hell because that is the penalty for sin death , separation from GOD .
    But he givs us a way , a solution to that senario , God came to earth in form of a human Christ His son, who died on a cross at Calvary to pay the penalty for all of mankind's sin , that is he died, then he beat that death , and became alive again as he arose , that all who belived he gave the choice to have etrnal life , or reject him and spend eternity in hell , if you are interested in more send me a message , It is your choice , I will not condem you , it is not for me to judge. I will only be a friend.
    BAAngelaIV

Answer by BAAngelaIV at 2:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• dont give the girl answers that she probably knows already. she wants logical explanation to the history and meaning of the scriptures about hell. i've looked up some sights about hell and it is tru that "hell" was an actual place that people would sacrifice animals and babies to other gods. so the belief that we go there after we die if god chooses is not real. another place of torment- who knows, i want answers to as why would someone send us there. its not a choice to serve him if the alternative is burning forever. thats like your husband saying either u stay with me or your children die. what would u do? If god really loves us he wont torment us forever.
    Anonymous

• the place of torment which is referred to in Revelation is the "Lake of Fire". The word is hell is often used in its place. Yes, hell is real. God has shown Himself through His word the bible. Yes, many believe it's a history book or a story book... however, how can you explain all of the prophecies that are in there... 100% accurate some that have come to pass during biblical times and some that have come to pass during this and the last century. Also.. it's about reading the bible and having faith in what you believe. God's love is also real... He gave His Son Jesus as the ultimate sacrafice for our sins that we would be able to have a relationship with Him... too me that is the greatest love anyone could show. He gave His Son Jesus to pay for my sins.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• cont: I believe in hell or eternal torment. But that's not why I have a relationship with God.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Being a Christian and believing in places like heaven and hell is based on faith also... There is No logical explanation for EVERYTHING in my opinion. I just KNOW and trust it. Sorry I coudlnt help too much.
    Anonymous

• Of course there are no logical answers...religion is based on belief in the unknown, unprovable, and unobservable.

It doesn't mean that what one believes is right or wrong (which is why religious "truth" is subjective...in which case, its really not truth at all), it just means that you are HOPING what you beleive is right, rather than wrong.

Everyone wants to think *their* belief is right, otherwise they have wasted years of time, effort, energy and money on a lie...really, no one actually knows, nor will ever know (though lots of people claim they do)--at least as their earthly self...thats the point of having faith.

If you had evidence, you wouldn't need faith.

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 3:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I have to laugh at the people who answer a question that asks for logic... with dogma and religious rhetoric. "How do you know your religion is true?" "I know because it is true." Very persuasive. (not)

Sorry I don't have any answers for you. I "deconverted" from christianity to atheism after years of questioning and research. Good luck with your own search for answers.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 4:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Sometimes I wonder if we don't create our own personal torment/hell in trying to find the answers. I have to agree with the poster who scoffed at the logic of a faith based question. I'm not making fun. I'm merely suggesting that logic may not have a lot to do with this. I do hope you find your answer though.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Here's a logical answer for you..

Ancient Hebrew tradition maintained that the souls of the dead remained with their bodies, buried, until Judgment Day. All souls, good and bad. Upon the Judgment, those deemed worthy would ascend to Heaven and be one with God. Those unworthy would simply cease to exist. This is actually very similar to the Buddhist belief of Nirvana, that once you have attained all knowledge there is to attain, you become one with the fabric of the universe, thus achieving total enlightenment. Those who failed to learn life's lessons just keep returning to earth and living lives until they do. Until then, they are considered apart from the universe (or ceasing to exist).
    (cont)
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• (cont).
    The concept of Hell has evolved from the name of an physical place in the middle east, an ancient dumping ground of refuse and bodies outside of Jerusalem... to the waiting period before the judgment, to the abode of the Damned and origin of demons. The image varies from person to person, priest or pastor, laymen, agnostic, or atheist.

In other words, like most concepts within religion, it's a matter of upbringing and faith.
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 7:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2008