So my 4 yr old wakes up screaming and saying his head hurts....what can be the cause?

He went to bed at 8:30 then around 12:00 he woke up screaming and while holding his head he just kept repeating it hurt when I went to pick him up he was burning up. After about an hour of keeping a cool towel on his forehead and some babying he fell into a restless sleep, he is not hot anymore and I have woken him up a couple times just to see if it hurts anymore he says no but I don't know if I'm being overly paranoid but I can't stop worrying until I can get him seen by his dr (all I can think of was he just got over a runny nose with a slight cough and he did bump his head that morning but could that really be the cause? and other then the common runny nose he hasn't been sick since he was 6mths) So has anyone experienced something like this if so what should I ask the dr when we see him

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Get him to the Dr. and I hope he gets an MRI. This could be something very serious. I won't say why I feel so strongly. But please take action.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:52 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• allergies
    migraine
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:11 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Ummmmm, you might even want to take him to the ER! It sounds like he might have the flu, but that is really scary. Allergies could be the cause of it too. My daughter use to run a slight fever with a headache when she was little and we found out she had allergies. GOOD LUCK, Mamma.
    Ks_mom94

Answer by Ks_mom94 at 6:24 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My 7 yr. old son suffers from migraines. He had the same symptoms as you explained at the age of 2. I finally took it upon myself and scheduled him to see a pediatric neurologist who diagnosed him with migraines. I never thought a child so young could have migraines. EEG and MRI was done. He should see a neurologist and have an MRI done. Good Luck.!!! hugs.
    AutismEveryday

Answer by AutismEveryday at 7:17 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Sounds like an ear infection to me.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I was thinking ear infection as well. Hope the Dr has some answers for you!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• That is scary. I would definitely talk to the doctor about it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:18 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• could be an infection.. keep your LO comfy until you can get them to a dr... if you have vomiting, sight issues, hearing issues, etc then go to the ER... isn't there an urgent care around to see?
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• headache
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:02 PM on Oct. 19, 2010