Aphrodite had a virgin birth, why don't we worship her?

there's a plethora of Greek religious books written as well. Why are they brushed off as fables, yet the current religion has the exact same premise and is taken as truth?

Mary had a virgin birth to Jesus and there's a religious book tied to the faith.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 5:48 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Religious Debate

• At one time the Greek, as well as other Gods of various cultures, were worshipped and it WAS the religion of the time. They had faith that those stories and Gods were real. The God of the Bible and the stories, characters and some of the events are exactly the same- they are nothing more than myths that are in 'vogue' right now and considered true and real. One day, perhaps, they will be replaced and then will also be considered just myths. I tend to think however that mankind, because of technological and scientific advances, might not even need Gods or myths in the future and instead of a new belief system replacing the old one, the need and desire for it for simply fade away- it will be a new 'enlightened' age.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:25 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Because the Christians killed anyone who followed the old Gods and Goddesses, simple as that. That is why it is the prevalent religion today.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:11 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You can if you want to. I choose to worship God and follow the teachings of Jesus because I believe they are different from what came before. Most Pagan beliefs centered around understanding how the natural world worked and giving explanation to natural events, like the sun rising every morning. Also in Paganism of the past  there was a divide between us and the gods. Jesus taught about inner spiritual connections that had nothing to do with the natural phenomena of the planet but of inner peace and joy. He also taught we are part of this creation and are connected to the God on a personal level. That is why I'm a christian but there is nothing stopping you from worshipping Aphrodite if you want to.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:40 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Catholics seem to worship Mary

Your misunderstanding of something doesn't make it true.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:14 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Well for starters - people of the Christian religion don't worship Mary.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:57 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• well i dont worship anyone just b/c they had a virgin birth...thats not the main criteria for my faith. if it was i would have to worship a lot more beings b/c there are so many gods who's stories include virgin birth. even if Mary wasnt a virgin it means nothing to me and wouldnt change the fact that i believe Jesus' actions on this earth are worthy of following... divine or not.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:48 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I think she means that Venus/Aphrodite gave birth to Cupid/Eros as a virgin.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• When I was in middle school (or in my day, Junior High) I studied Greek Mythology and I DID worship Aphrodite--along with Athena for a short while.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would think some do- if its relevant to your belief system you would, if its not-you would not. I would think non-Christians would not "worship" Mary as she is not part of their belief system, while Christians would not "worship" a Goddess that is part of the Pagan belief system. The answer to your question seems pretty evident to me.....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Some people do
    Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 11:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2010