Should someone go to jail for not having car insurance

if no one was hurt and nothing was damaged

a routine traffic stop is what reveals it nothing more, when the cop asks for proof on insurance

is jail going to help somehow?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It's no more a waste of police resources than when she hits an insured driver and the police have to deal with her at that point. Coming from someone who has had to pay car repair bills on my car b/c someone hit it without insurance, I don't mind that she got taken to jail. In my state it's mandatory to have insurance, but there's very little done if the person w/o insurance is in a wreck. If she can't afford it or is inconvenienced by public transit, she should rearrange her priorities...get rid of cable, internet, etc. to cover her responsibilities as an adult. I'm confused by this statement of yours: but maybe she should be getting help, not punishment. Who do you think should help her? People like me who carry our insurance are already helping by paying a higher premium.

London3

Answer by London3 at 7:24 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Nope.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 6:23 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Well coming from someone (me) that has to pay higher insurance bc of ppl with no insurance in (nc) etc I believe if I have to pay it so should everyone else...most ppl without it will continue to go without insurance as long as possible to save some money..what if she had of been in an accident? What if someone had of been killed, what about if a child was killed...there are more ways to look at this? What if it were you she hit in the event of an accident?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I ask cuz my friend got locked up on a "Three Strikes" law. We had to spend $300 bail to get her out. Spending $300 doesn't help her to afford insurance, nor does putting her in lock up. Kinda ticked us off on when there's big crimes happening out there. I know driving w/o insurance is wrong, not excusing that, but maybe she should be getting help, not punishment. You can't get around LA without a car.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 6:27 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You mean she got pulled over 3 different times without having insurance? In that case, she should have learned her lesson the first time. She was warned twice. Was playing with fire...yes that seems justified, if thats what the law is. Besides your worried about the mere 300 for bail...you get your bail money back dont you, if she attends court. Now thats where this person will get slammed with fines!
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 6:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Oh I very much agree, Anon. I've told her the same. If she can't afford car insurance, she shouldn't be driving, but I also know the public transportation here isn't that reliable and doesn't necessarily work with people's schedules, so I can see her desire to have access to her car at any given time, but I do agree with ya, it just seemed like a waste of police resources.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 6:48 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I've been hit, twice ~ by people without insurance.....we all pay for that. I can see if this was the first offense, being taken aback by jail time...but the third. She should have know better. Driving is a privilege that comes with immense responsibility.... and that is why there is a law about insurance. Now, when she does attempt to get her license back, insurance will be so expensive she will not be able to get it at all....actually...she may not even be able to get her license back.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:06 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• @Woodwitch... she still has her DL...oddly enough... I hadn't thought of that. I agree totally with ya. Its not gonna help her to afford the insurance and will just make her drive really carefully from now on. She's not one to just at at home and do nothing or take a bus somewhere. But her premiums are so high she can only afford to pay for that 1st month and then let it drop. In fact she only does that after she gets a ticket for it and has to show proof of insurance to the Court and after she does that, lets it drop, cuz she can't afford it monthly. Stupid I know.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 8:11 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i just got into a car accident and the guy who hit me was in a work car... lucky for me the job had the car insured but the driver told the cop no i dont have insurance.... i thought i was screwed!!! my medical bills are over 800 and to fix my car over 3500... thank god the company had insurance though cause there is no way i could cover my 1000 deductible and i carry medical for others but not myself... right now my car is being fixed and they are paying for a rental for me which is great but still its not fair that i would had to pay for everything and my rates go up!!!
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 7:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Yes- if you repeatedly and knowingly break the law you should be punished. SHE is wasting the police and govt resources and SHE is the one to blame, not the law makers or the police. What kind of help do you suggest for car insurance- who wants to pay taxes to pay someone else's car insurance. Having a car is a luxury. Car insurance can be expensive but it sounds like her premiums are sky high because of her own actions- repeated violations tend to do that. No sympathy here- plenty of people manage to get around LA without a car.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2010