what happens when you have a suspended license

where they say you can only drive to/from work but don't check or know what that commute is or what you even do for a living?

You're allowed to get gas, I assume, is that the time to get groceries and such (when you get gas)?

Do you have to drop out of any college courses your in the middle of and destroy your GPA? or just go anyway and not give them a reason to pull you over.

I don't have one, but my friend just got tacked with one and she's in a flux about what to do now. I told if she chooses to drive anyway, then be verrry careful and not give them (police) any reasons to notice her.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:21 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• She needs to be careful if she is driving to more than just work and school. If caught she could be arrested.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:57 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• She needs to make sure she gets a document saying she can drive to and from work and school so if she gets pulled over then she wont get in trouble. They dont have to have a reason to pull you over. They can just run your license plate number if they are bored sitting at a light. It sucks. Yes Im sure getting gas is just fine, but see I went to gas stations on my route, didnt go out of the way, and the gas station I went to was in the same parking lot as the grocery store :) What does she need to restore her license? Maybe pay off a traffic fine, attend defensive driving school? Just have her get whatever needs to be taken care of fast and she wont have to worry.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 6:31 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• be very careful, school i don't think they will say anything, but the store yes they will! we had our car towed away. it cost us 4000 just in tow fees and then another 2000 in court fines and bail. its not worth it. i know its a pain to keep asking for rides, but it saves in the long run. and the worse thing is they will make your insurence go up. we have to pay 120 a month now cuz of it.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I am unsure, but wouldn't school be under the places you can go? She can always claim "ignorance" if she is heading to classes, then gets caught. "I thought this was covered as well". Believe me, I most definantly would. Is there anyone you can call (without giving your name) to find out? I hope she gets it worked out.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 6:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It is TOO AND FROM WORK. no grocery shopping, no college, nada.you can stop and get gas. that is about it. just saying
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 7:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• she has to provide her work and school hours. when my ex needed to get that they checked he also had to keep a copy of them in his car.
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 6:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• She did ask about school to the judge, and he said "Too bad, you should have thought of that before. Work and Home. Nothing else"

Which really left alot of questions he wasn't willing to address to her. Hence why I'm asking here for her. The school and alot a gas stations/shopping centers are along her 90 minute commute along with several reasonable routes she could take.

She thought maybe she could just stop at the school on her way home, go to class, get some gas and run some errands while parked there, then continue home.... technically it would all be during her commute home. I dunno if that would fly but again they don't know her work hours or what she does for a living. Its a 6-mo suspension for traffic violations.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 6:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Oh they never asked or verified any employer info, work hours, what her commute entails. It was just assumed (I guess) that she worked nearby her home? She commutes 90 minutes each way and there's a plethora of routes she often takes to get around heavy traffic areas and whatnot. But thats what partly so confusing, how do they know if she's on her commute, no one at work is gonna turn her in if they call her office.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 6:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• The point of a suspended license is to punish for something (I am not judging - this happened to me once, too). Not having the convenience of the car is the point of the punishment - but they don't want you to lose your job over it, so you can go to work and back. Sure, stopping for gas is going to be ok, but if the cop wants to be a jerk and finds you got groceries (or beer, especially) while there, it could get messy. They don't really need a reason to pull you over, and something as simple as a flat tire that a cop stops to help you with could end up with you in the slammer for driving with a suspended license.

It might be a better idea for your friend to consider getting a ride to school or using public transportation if available. It would suck for a while, but she'll be stronger after making through this. If she gets caught - she'll be making a crappy situation ALOT worse.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 6:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• @science... even if the gas station and the grocery store are in the same lot and the only driving involved was moving the car from the gas pump to a parking spot 100 ft away? Good ideas, though.

It'll be pain to have to give her a ride to school, esp when she drives by the school everyday on her way home. She'd considered just camping out there till class started, then continuing home from there after class. She would be truthfully completing her regular commute as the road that passes the school is part of her commute anyway.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 6:53 AM on Sep. 10, 2010