Would you let your kids take a comparative religion class in high school?

This is not about teaching just one religion, it's teaching about all world religions/belief systems and what their basic beliefs are. So it's not a Constitutional issue. What is your opinion?

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 7:04 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Of course! Any kind of knowledge is good knowledge. I don't think we should teach our kids to be ignorant. Everybody should know the fundamentals of all religions. If someone is scared it would compromise their own faith, then it shows you have doubt in your own religion. The smartest of people learn things they may not believe in.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• IF they wanted to, I guess so, sure, as long as they aren't trying to sway them into anything
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:07 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• absolutely! i wish i could've taken one in HS, AP history did touch on it a little bit but would've been nice to have a full class devoted to it. i took something similar in college but was more about anthropology and not JUST about diff religions. I think everyone should learn about the history behind all the world's religions, might help cut down on the hate :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 7:55 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Sure, if they wanted to!! I took one in college and it was very interesting. I learned a lot about different religions and did away with some of my misconceptions. Like you said in your reply, the class was not about learning the belief, but about the religion - the history, rituals, etc.

MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 7:15 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Yes, she is right now. It's part of her AP history class.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I'd encourage it! In fact, I have made it a requirement that my son learn as much as he can about as many different faiths and beliefs as possible throughout his 17 years of life, although it has never been offered at his school. If more people had true understanding of others and appreciated and respected diversity, the world would be a much better place.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• absolultely!

one of my classes in high school did just that- but only barely touched on them because that part of the class was only like a week long
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:42 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Absolutely - and my son is taking a comparative religion course right now.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 7:53 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• As long as the teacher presents the facts without influence of his/her opinion I'd actually encourage it. I want my son to be educated on all of the faiths of the world so he can not only understand them and respect them, but so he can make his own choice when he's ready. I plan on teaching him at home, but if there were a class at school to supplement that, I'd be happy! :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:42 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Absolutely. I'd probably borrow her text book and learn more myself, as well.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:50 AM on Sep. 10, 2010