what colour goes with red in a loungeroom?

i love red, but am scared to use it too much in my home. i have red in my rug, and red cushions, how could i bring more red into the room without over powering it?

katiemum

Asked by katiemum at 7:14 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have a red plaid style over sized chair in the corner across from my red couch. the throw pillows are mixed with browns and gold. I have 2 small black storage container/padded seats that look really sharp with the red. Browns, golds, blacks and creams really brighten up red. GL! It can be done.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 7:26 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I totally agree with baby. I love black and red in a lounge lounge, but it might be too harsh in a home. Soften it with gold or a darker yellow. Don't be afraid of color! They (someone on HGTV, can't remember who) say you should always have 3 points of visual interest of any one color, so you could try the red pillows, the red in the rug (as long as it isn't muted with a ton of other colors, and say a picture with some red, or a glass vase or maybe even a window treatment in red. Good luck...and DON'T be afraid of color. You will wonder why you didn't do it sooner!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:56 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Taupe looks nice with red and for more red accents use curtains,vase,or a bowl with spheres in it a table runner ,red candles or holders( Pier 1 Homegoods always have neat red items.)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:09 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I like white with red, particularly if it is making a pattern. If you don't want white, then maybe a cream or ecru.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 12:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2010