Is the press responsible

There has been a ton of misinformation and flat out lies spread the past few months. Not opinion or questions of degree, but flat out bad facts - from the "mosque at ground zero" (which is really a community center a quarter mile away, and there really are some people who still believe there is a mosque being built where the towers stood because they believe the headlines) to the Florida pastor who is/isn't burning books because he did/didn't make a deal with the Imam/some other Imam. (no deal and he never even talked to the NY Imam)

It's not like it's the first time - remember the day they had Coast Guard exercises on 9/11 while the president's motorcade was driving past and everyone panicked? Should there be a point where news agencies (and at this point that would be all of them) can be held responsible for REPEATED instances of blatant misinformation? Seems the "freedom of the press" should come with responsibility.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:32 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I intensely dislike the media and stopped reading the Toronto newspapers ages ago. I don't watch the news unless it's related to my job. Reporters make me mental.

Most of them are pushy, clueless, shameless talking heads.

JMO
    StRita

Answer by StRita at 7:42 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I know the mosque (aka..comm. center) is planned for close by but not at GZ..have known that and still do not agree with it being built.

This is what I think ..IF it wasn't for the media making a big hoopla over it ..hardly anyone would have noticed..I watched a video clip of a CNN reporter questioning the dork ball preacher and this reporter was all about the troops basically saying the preacher must not care about them if he is going ahead with the Koran burning..uh huh ..that news reporter doesn't give 2 chits either..it's about getting the story..period..it is a church with a congregation of 50 people not thousands or even hundreds..it would have went barely noticed ..if at all noticed..if it wasn't for the media frenzy.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:53 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I don't know, I think even if they gave more information in their articles / clips that people will take away from them what they want to hear / read. We are all responsible in a way to make sure that the information that we are shooting at the hip from is accurate or that we have both sides of the story. JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I ask all the time whatever happened to responsible journalism and reporting...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:29 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• yeah yeah, whatever. I've only commented on Responsibility of the Media and posted about media reform numberous times and nobody was interested until now. Gee..I wonder why?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:43 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• How do you hold them responsible for their reporting and not infringe on freedom of speech?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

We already have libel and slander laws, so it's not unheard of. It just seems to me if a news organization has a habit of reporting false things, there should be some consequences for it. If they can fire Jayson Blair, why can't there be higher consequences when it's the entire company repeating misinformation that they know they have not fact checked or that they know is incorrect?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:52 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• lol jewjew..sowwy ;(

A fine line lovin..I don't really know..

This is not the only time they have caused this kind of uproar though..and put our troops in harms way all the while pointing ALL of the blame at someone else...usually less signifigant..who would probably go unnoticed otherwise..

I also think too much of the war was sensationalized/publicized...happened in the past too..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:52 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• The media is always telling lies. They jump ant any story before they know the facts and it spreads like wild fire. THere is nothing you can do. It would be nice if there were a lot of changes about how things are reported but it won't happen.
    I have not heard of anyone saying the towers were in that spot but the spot where the Mosque is being built had the landing gear of one of the planes drop through the roof. If you wish to call that just some spot 1/4 mile away then that's your privilege . I consider that to be part of the 9-11 area.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:37 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I have not heard of anyone saying the towers were in that spot

It came up yesterday. I was reading comments somewhere else about the whole Quran burning thing, and there was someone there who had absolutely no idea that the community center was blocks away from GZ. She really believed it was being built on the site itself. Something people should keep in mind when they read those polls about how many people support or oppose it - how many of the people answering REALLY know what's going on and how many are basing it on a few headlines they've noticed and haven't looked into any deeper. For people who don't research, the headline "Ground Zero Mosque" can only mean one thing - a mosque being built on ground zero.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2010