Cat ripping up carpet

I have had my cat for over 8 years. She never did this before ( ripping up carpet) She does not even scratches the furnature. I tried spraying stuff on it, like a bitter apple spray. Then I bought a scratching post. She never took to it and I ended up donating it. I wonder if anyone had any suggestions. Declawing is not an option and getting rid of her is not either. I noticed on here, many people are just down right cruel. She was injured on her backside and since then she is seems to acting like this.

kimchimom

Asked by kimchimom at 2:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Pets

• Mine scratches at one of our doors all the time! Try a spray bottle with water and squirting her when she does it. Also, you can put her in a crate for a little while when she does it. Mine still does it all the time, but at least I have temporary deterrents!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• . Cats love to scratch or sharping their claws, as they release endorphins into their body that makes them feel good. . So maybe if her injury isn't that old she is trying to cope with it. Ripping up the carpet makes me think is is definitely unhappy about something as this is not usual behavior, you say for her. Is it in the same spot everytime? or is it anywhere she wants to? If in thesame placce , and if possiable to put something heavy over the area, where she can't do it. Crates don't work for cats like dogs. Another room to be confined in  may help.  I would consult a cat specialst on behavior problems. And since I am not maybe that would be your best bet to help your kitty out. We did have a cat that clawed the carpet in this one area and we covred it with a heavy table to stop it! She is no longer tearing that carpet up.  So good luck to you and yours.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• is it a ceratin area of carpet? Try putting a cardboard box there with cat nip and let her sharpen her claws on that. They have a box like that in Walmart & Petsmart.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Definately trim her nails and use a spray bottle on her body, not her head if she attacks the carpet. Get her another scratching post, mine took a while to use it then quit now that it's near the chair she scratches on, she uses it more and the chair less. Ours is a tall tower with posts on the bottom...maybe she didn't like the height of the post?? They like the higher ones where they can look down on their kingdom...put it or something to scratch where the carpet is for a while. (?) maybe that will deter her. good luck.
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 12:54 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Sincear often scratched, When she was upset about something, Like say we left her home alone for a period of time, She is worse then some dogs. Doese not like to be alone. So I got her the kittens lol. And that seems to have helped. Plus if you can find some toys she likes. That will keep her busy that tends to help also. At PetSmart they have this GREAT cheap KAT SCRATCHER its on a Cardbord box type thing, And it comes with Catnip. It was only 8 dollars. I put the catnip on there once a day. And she loves the thing. Some day if you give you cat , Catnip it tends to calm them also, And makes them less stressed. So that may work on its own. I dont use water or spray at her, I just think thats mean. I know it doese not hurt them, I just would rather give her something else to do then punish her for doing something she would do if she were in the wild..
    Patty Pgh PA
    MOMofTwo_99_00

Answer by MOMofTwo_99_00 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I worked at PetSmart before I took maternity leave. If you go to PetSmart Or PetCo they have these little rubber things that fit right over the claws on the front paws. They come in clear and all kinds of fun colors. That way you won't have to declaw the kitty!! They also have this plastic sticky stuff to put down. If there's a special place that kitty goes a LOT then put some there. It'll stick to her feet and she'll leave. Kitties don't like things sticking to their feet. Then you don't have to spray her or all that other stuff. They also have cardboard scratchers. You can rub catnip on it or get the catnip spray and she'll be iinterested in the cardboard. My grandmas kitty LOOOOVES her cardboard scratchers!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• MY VET SELLS THESE CLAW CAPPS THEY GO ON THERE CLAW'S AND THEY HAVE ALL FUN COLORS THEY LAST THREE MONTH'S THAT SHOULD HELP YOU ! MOST VETS HAVE THEM
    sweetchrissy

Answer by sweetchrissy at 1:54 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Get kitty his or her own carpet and put it over the area he she is scratching. If that is what he or she prefers then why not give he she a carpet of her or his own :)
    Mooska

Answer by Mooska at 6:42 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• A couple of people said those cat caps and I agree! I just got them a little while ago for my cat that was scrathcing my son and the furniture and haven't had a problem since. He still tries to but has no effect. I ordered them from this website http://www.softpaws.com/exclusivecolors.html
    TristanMitchael

Answer by TristanMitchael at 12:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• If you buy those kitty condos and toys with carpeting, that is a reason why. Cats think they can use any carpeting because of those. Try getting a scratcher with that twine looking material.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2008