My son needs speech therapy however we cannot afford it

He is 4 yrs old and isn't holding conversations and needs to be coached about what to say. His words make him sound more like a 3 yr old and it confuses people. I know he isn't as far along as kids his age. He is smart he can count knows his abc's,shapes, colors, and a few other things too boot! We are in a rural area with little resources and he doesn't have anyone his age or size to play with. There are times in a toy section of a store he's playing w/ a toy and a kid will take it away from him and he just looks at the other kid kinda sad, kinda blank. Waht are my options on getting him help when we are w/out insurence or community services? It's just a rural area with a school so small it's 200 kids k-12.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 2:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is currently taking speech through our school district. It took over a year to convince the screening board that he was having real trouble. You might need to dig your heels in, but remember you have the right to request a different person to assess your son.

After being admitted to the program, he was issued an IEP number which automatically qualified him for Headstart. The social interaction has done wonders.

We were also given flash cards to do with him every night. They were grouped by word sounds (started with B, had a "th" in them, etc.). At first, we would sound out the words with him and any attempt was highly praised. Eventually, he was shouting out every word as we flipped the cards. You could try something similar with homemade cards or store bought ones. Just group them by sound so he can practice shaping his mouth.

Good Luck!
    MomOfDoubleJs

Answer by MomOfDoubleJs at 7:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Check to see if your county has an assistance program. I have friend who is getting twice moonthly speech sessions free from the county. Ask your doctor for a referral. Good luck!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My son qualified for early intervention services when he was two for speech, and now we have moved and he is 3 so has been moved to the school district for assistance with his speech and other delays. call your school district and see if they offer any programs in your area, we haven't had to pay for anything. good luck.
    JPFamilyMom

Answer by JPFamilyMom at 2:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• no matter how small the school should have services also contact easter seals they do free screening
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 3:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Even though your school district is small they still may have a program for early childhood speech developement issues. You need to call the school as well as the county. You may even check with your Pedeatrician for help.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Look into head start. Otherwise check into playdates.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 3:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• You can also look online for ideas to help him at home. I would engage him in conversation every chance I got. Take him to the store with you and have him name everything he sees. Talk talk talk...you will get there. No matter how small the school is in is ran by a board of education somewhere...just keep asking til you reach the top if that is what it takes. Also, contact the nearest hospital..they may refere you to some kind of speach therapist....just never give up mama!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• If you are having to coach him on what to say... that sounds like autism, I am not a dr. or diagnostician, but i have been teaching children with autism for several years. I also don't know your child, but also because he knows rote things shows signs of Autism, because many autistic children are very smart but have delays in speech and social activities and if he is good at repeating but not creatvive with his own words I think its worth looking into.....

But talking to him, autistic or not, is great! So I agree as well with all the answers above. Take care
    Anonymous

• We have a head start 30 miles away and currently it's full. The Dr. said he's not behind enough to worry. I don't have much faith in small town drs. So I don't beleave him, I beleave my gut instinc. I do read to him and engage him in converation and when he's curious, for instant with cafemom he checks out the ads and such while I'm looking through my groups and when he comments I stop what I'm doing and talk about what he finds so interesting about a paticular item.
    I know it's not autism, but have not ruled out asperger's symdrome.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I went to speech threapy at a public school when I was a kid.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 5:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2008