Big families out there

We are a total of 7 and 8 with the step daughter every other weekend. Left overs are unheard of at our house. What do you ladies with a large brood do to make meals stretch beyond the norm?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 2:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Food & Drink

• We are a family of 7 and growing!

I meal plan usually to help me to save money. As for making the food stretch here is what I do: We only eat meat a few times a week. We eat lots of rice, noodles, beans , and potatoes.

Some of my favorite dishes to make are spanish rice(add corn, ground beef, and beans for a heartier meal and roll-up in a tortilla), Chicken Enchilada Supremes with white sauce, Fried Poatoes with onions and scrambled eggs, all kinds of soups, chowders and Chilis, and Spaghetti Goulash.

If you need recipes let me know.

tinkerbell76

Answer by tinkerbell76 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I don't have a large family, but when I first moved in with my boyfriend, there was myself, him, our roommate, our roommates brother, a friend of ours and his girlfriend, and then sometimes an extra friend or two on the weekends. So...6 teenagers. Yeah.

When I cooked, if all the "kids" were home, i cooked filling meals...that is to say, Pasta, Rice, etc. Things that are considered filling. I made a lot of Stir Fry, Casseroles, big pots of soup, and a lot of Spaghetti. I still cooked other things, but usually only if at least one or two of them were not going to be home for dinner.

Don't know if that helped or not :)

CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I have four kids and a few "adopted" relatives (12y SIL, 19y bro) and all I know to do is double, even triple a recipe... Cook easy meals... And affordable ones. Lots of sides and snacks. lol Sorry I can't be more help.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 3:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• A big pot of chili, gumbo, mexican cornbread, chicken and dumplins can all go a long way if you double the recipes; you can even make double batches and freeze the extras.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 3:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• We have a family of 6(2 teens), plus I run a daycare, AND BIL and his kids come over for dinner quite often. I can easily count over a dozen people at meals...LOL
    My best advice..PLAN, PLAN, PLAN and then make out a pretty detailed grocery list so you know exactly what you need. I used to double every recipe, but now I triple it. Then, I keep a freezer full of lefovers and pull them out when there's enough variety to make a whole meal. I try to make soup and cornbread at least once a week. My favorite is the Jiffy mixes, and they're only 30-some cents most of the time. 3 boxes fil really well into a 9X13 pan, and barely cost $1.
    I buy the whole chickens when they are on a good sale.~~ rinse and take out innerds before freezing ~~ 2 can fit snuggly into my crockpot, and cook all day. It makes a ton of meat, which you can use for everything.
    CONT...
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• CONT....
    I also just learned how to make homemade refried beans. It takes all day, but it's really easy and SOOO yummy! A big bag of beans is super cheap and makes a ton!
    I buy all my canned fruit, peaches, pears, applesauce, etc at Costco in the big cans. They're only about $3 and can last up to 2-3 days.
    Mostly, I just actually "cook" a lot more than I used to. Makin a batch of biscuits used to seem like a big task, now it just feels like breakfast =) Wafffles, pancakes, french toast, are much cheaper than cereal. I try to make meals fairly good-sized, so there's not as much need for snacks. That's what can kill a budget really fast!
    christyg

• We are a family of 5 (all boys and me) next year we will be a family of 8 (my step kids will be living with us)

I get a 7 lb chicken oven stuffer. The first night I make the chicken roasted in the oven. The next morning I make a stock from the bones for soup that night, the third day I use the rest of the leftovers in a stir-fry or a pot-pie.

I also make a meatloaf one night then the next night cut up the leftovers into bite size pieces and add it to sauce for pasta.

Another I do is make a big london broil with potatoes and veggies. The next night I use leftover meat for a stir-fry and the next night I use the rest of the leftovers (potatoes, veggies and meat) and make a hash or egg pie.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 6:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• We have a family of 6. I make a 3 lb meatloaf. Thats dinner and SOs lunch the next day.
    One of my favorites is fried chicken. I make a lot at a time. It keeps so well and the kids can grab it on the go. Its better cold!
    Spaghetti is great too. Its so easy, cheap, and everyone loves it.
    Or I fill up the crock pot with soup, chili, or a roast and just let it be.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:38 AM on Oct. 16, 2008