How can I get my 2 1/2 yr old son to take a nap?!?

He is sooo tired. I am so tired. I have tried rocking him, singing to him, I've even left him in the room for an hour by himslef!!! He won't take a nap. I put him to bed early and he goes down with out a problem. But naptime... it's like somebody is torturing him. I know he needs rest, he is very active. It has been a month of this refusal. He is getting irritable, grupmy, whiny And down right mean. Please if any of you have any tips. I sure could use them.

Mommycakes06

Asked by Mommycakes06 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It might be something he is eating or drinking. In my experience with my son I switched him to regular soy milk after being on formula and he was a whole different child. He was agressive and stubborn very hyper and worst of all he WOULDNT nap... I was so exhausted so I picked my docotrs brain about it and he said that it might be the sugar in the regular soy milk. Sure enough he has a hard time with any amount of sugar and so I have to treat him like hes a diabetic. I know I was giving him diluted juice for lunch time and that affected his naps. Now I dont give him juice rather just water, and he sleeps like a champ. Your child could very well have the same problem or not. Just thought I would give you a possible problem. Good Luck.
    BrensMomma

Answer by BrensMomma at 6:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I could never put mine down for a nap. Instead, his quilt was there when he wanted it and he knew it. He'd conk out on his own.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• You maybe defeating the purpose if you are putting him down early. keep him up to his usual time and then try it. Tell him that he has to have quite time. He has to be in his room for a certain amount of time. Then you go rest. If he does not lay down and rest he may not need it like you think. My son quit laying down by 3. I just said what ever. Put a show on at nap time and see if he will sit still and watch it. Those are the three things that I would try.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 3:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Unfortunately, naps are probably a thing of the past. My daughter is the same age and she will not nap anymore. I know she's tired. She knows she's tired! I put her down for a nap and she can do what she wants for a couple hours. She usually plays quietly with her dolls. If she doesn't nap, she just goes to be earlier.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 3:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2008