3 month old sleeping probs

i have a 3 month old and she sleeps prety good but latley shes been waking up in the middle of the night and stays up for like an hour. she use to sleep through the night from like 8pm till 6am but now its like 1am and 3am. shes breastfed but before she goes to bed i give her cereal and a bit of formula i just dont know what to do i have a 3 yr old and at her age he was sleeping through the night i just dont know what to do.

the_shy_one

Asked by the_shy_one at 3:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe you should stop giving her the cereal. its too heavy in the evening... but thats just a guess... leave the cereal for a while.. maybe her belly hurts or something.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• it's true that introducing solids at that age can cause tummy problems.
    is she hungry when she wakes? babies typically go through a growth spurt at that age and it's completely normal for a baby that age to NOT be sleeping through the night.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I'd lay off both the formula and the cereal.. While it might be making her feel fuller longer it might also be upsetting her tummy. Besides, do you know what's in that crap? lol Swaddle her up and BF her right before you put her down. See how that works. :) Good job breastfeeding, Mama!!!
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 3:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• A three month old who DOESN'T wake is an unusual baby. She's normal. Forget what your son did; it's not germane to this situation.

I'd think abotu dumping the formula and cereal, though...they may be making it worse.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• There is a new product on the market called the Magic Sleepsuit (www.magicsleepsuit.com) that is designed for babies ages 3 mo to 9 mo. Its designed to help babies sleep better and longer because it helps muffle twitches that wake babies early and helps sooth them back to sleep. Check it out.
    Anonymous

• ok, first of all... i'm a twin momma. my babies are 6 months and we don't sleep through the night either. NORMAL. Cereal--if you baby canhandle it, feed it to her for pete's sake! Formula, great! i have formula fed from day one, i coudln't do 2, plus i was too stressed with a baby in another town in NICU...another story another time. I started my babies on cereal at 3 months. just plain, single grain rice cereal. make it to a thin consistancy and move on from there. I am up several times--so, needless to say a bottle helps get them back to sleep and they're out like a light. i don't mind getting up with them. I've tried water--and that's completely ok if your baby is getting enough during the day--they'll get tired of it and either not want it and go back to sleep or wake up sooner and want milk (mine did the later....ha)...
    jsks826

Answer by jsks826 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2008