How to keep the kids out of our disagreements?

I have been divorced a little over a year and the battle still continues between the ex and I. He doesn't care when and where and how he talks to me. A lot of the time it is right in front of the kids. He lets them do whatever and eat whatever and I am the one that has to frontline parenting. Any advice would be great cuz' I am ready to pull my hair out. THANKS!

My3RaysofSun

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 3:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am in a similar situation. I watch what my son eats, see's, hears, etc. . .. But my ex is the total opposite but he doesn't realize it, he's just that way. Our son is now 11 and he's old enough to see that daddy isn't one to be idolized. Your kids will someday realize that you were the rock that kept them safe and happy. You will have a hard time changing your ex to being the daddy you would rather for your kids. Just do the best you can for your kids and you might have to pick up his slack but it's the best for your kids. I hope that makes sense :)
    Proudmommy312

Answer by Proudmommy312 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Thanks! It does make sense. It's just really hard. You spend all week frontlining and in the 1-2 days they are with him, it goes right down the drain.
    My3RaysofSun

Answer by My3RaysofSun at 3:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I know! My son doesn't have soda at home but when he gets back from his dad's, and drinking so much soda, he gets urinary tract infections! And he craves fast food and pizza because that's what he always eats at his dad's. It was really bad when I was trying to potty train him. It all went down the drain when he got back.
    Proudmommy312

Answer by Proudmommy312 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2008