• In the Spotlight:

Controversial Question: Why aren't you allowed to vote your race?

I keep reading that it is 'bad' to vote for a person based on race. Well, I am white and voting for Obama for my own reasons. But I was thinking, the African American Community has had such poor representation for the entire course of American history. Why is it 'racist' of them to vote for a candidate that they feel understands this? How many Hilary voters were voting for her because she was a woman? I know I was.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I can kind of understand what you are saying. I don't think it's racist to vote for a person that most represents yourself. And if that means voting by race or sex, then I don't see anything wrong about it.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i think sitting there saying im voting for obama because hes black is what people mean by that. same with hillary, that is a little sexist. I think people should vote on the persons beliefs, morals, and views not the color of their skin or whats between their legs....
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• just because he's a part black man, doesn't mean he should automatically get the job. It should be based on the policies.

I wasn't voting for Hilary. I'm voting for Obama. I'm a white female.
    Anonymous

• you're allowed to vote for whoever you want and for whatever reason.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I agree with Anon 2:20. Just because he is bi-racial doesn't make him qualified. I have said before and I will say again: voting for one issue solely: race, abortion, taxes, etc. will allow you to be manipulated by your government.
    FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 3:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• If you are voting for someone because you feel they understand your needs, fine. But you should investigate the person and decide if they truly do understand, not just assume someone who looks more like you than another person has more in common.

Let's look at Obama - he spent much of his early childhood in Indonesia, going to schools that are nothing like the schools most "black" americans send their children too. Then he moved to Hawaii to be raised by his "white" grandmother and again attended schools nothing like what the vast majority of "black" americans send their children too. How has his life been anything like that of the average "black" american? What does he have in common, besides skin color, with a kid growing up in an inner city slum in Los Angeles? Nothing. Vote for him because you think he is the best choice for you - yes. Vote for him because he shares a skin color - no.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I would not vote for someone based on their color or sex. I base my vote on my ideals, what I think is best for the country, for me and my family and who I think can accomplish that.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• You are allowed to vote however you want to, I would hope though that people would vote on issues, values, ethics and track records of getting things done rather than race or gender, ever heard the say it's a "Wolf in Sheeps Clothing" be careful if your voting for a candidate based just on race or gender.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 3:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• kaycee14...why do you have "white" in quoations. His grandmother is in fact white. Secondly, how much do you know about someone's life to be able to say that someone else isn't living the average lifestyle. How do we really know what the average lifestyle is?
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 4:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• because people should vote base on the issues and the candidate stance on those issues not base on race.

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 6:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2008