Why am I always tired?

I know you aren't doctors, but I need opinions. Is this something I should talk to my Dr. about. Do you guys have any tips that I can try to help with my fatigue. I know I have an 8 month old, but I wasn't this tired when he was a newborn and I was up every hour breastfeeding. I used to go to bed about 1-2am and my son would wake to eat a couple times a night and then wake up between 7 and 8 am. The past few nights though I have been going to bed around 10pm, still getting up a couple times to feed the little one, and then getting up between 7 and 8 am. Even with this 3-4 extra hours of sleep I am still exhausted! I don;t know what to do anymore, I am so tired in the morning that I wake up super cranky, fall asleep just sitting on the couch watching the baby play, ect. I have tried napping with lo during the day, but this seems to make no difference. Advice please??

Mrs.Robey_4ever

Asked by Mrs.Robey_4ever at 8:14 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Health

• carbs in your diet
    your diet in general
    amount of exercise
    your oxygen flow (circulation)
    the iron levels in your blood too low
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:15 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I heard the other day that if a person eats broccolli, it boost up the energy.. Maybe get your Iron checked..
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 8:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Can you link me to some good diet examples. The exercise could be my issue, I try to move as little each day as I can. Right now I am on exercise restriction because I have something going on with my feet that is affecting my ankle, achilles tendons, and the muscle that runs from my toes to my heal. It is super painful =( Maybe the lack of movement. This could also be affecting my circulation I am sure. What are other signs that your iron is too low?
    Mrs.Robey_4ever

Comment by Mrs.Robey_4ever (original poster) at 8:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Perhaps you're not wearing yourself out properly before bed... I find that I never get decent sleep unless I do. Even on bedrest I try to at least mentally kill myself during the day haha.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Have your doctor do a blood test and see if you are anemic. I was for a while and felt exactly like you do, just totally exhausted all the time.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 8:24 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• when my daughter was about 6 months old I found myself to be this way, I started taking prenatel vitamins again and it made a huge difference. I believe that my iron was low and of course those helped with that. I also stopped drinking soda and drank a lot more water. Try a simple multi-vitamin like womens 1 a day to see if it makes a difference. If you are still tired you should def. talk to your dr.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would definitely go see a dr. A lot of autoimmune diseases can show up when women's bodies go through significant changes (pregnancy, breastfeeding, etc). After my 3rd child I went to the dr because I was exhausted (I was a mom with 3 kids right?!?). He did a battery of blood tests (I have chronic anemia, but he tested for thyroid among other things) and found out I have sjogrens syndrome which is an autoimmune disease related to rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. There aren't really any medications that help, but it helped me just to know that I wasn't being lazy - there is a medical reason why I'm so tired all the time!

Answer by missanc at 9:46 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I use to wake up exhausted and couldn't wait for a nap - coffee was my best friend :) A friend asked me to take a 90 day challenge with vitamins - the vitamins were Vitality - try them for 90 days and if you don't feel an improvement in your overall health just send the empty bottles back for a full refund - she said I would feel better - I had nothing to loose - so I took the challenge - within the first few days I realized that I was actually waking up and not pulling myself to the coffee machine and I realized that I no longer needed an afternoon nap just to get thru to bedtime :) These are truly remarkable vitamins! With 3 kids and tons of pets - plus home schooling and teaching piano - I need my energy! I challenge you to the 90 day challenge :) Look forward to hearing from you!
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 10:20 AM on Sep. 10, 2010