Do your kids just putter around the house?

no friends nearby and not very outdoorsy or into sports?

mine are. I feel stir crazy after awhile.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:14 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Get them involved! Find things for them to do. Set a good example by taking them hiking or biking or even just for a walk around the neighborhood. During the summer, my kids are much more laidback but during the school year, we keep them busy. Less likely to get fat and lazy and into trouble.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:54 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• No, they're both very active in school and social activities and often either off at practices or at friend's homes or have their friends over.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 8:17 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Aww - Find them something to do! :P.

I'd suggest buying something or even making something if you're on a budget, it's what I do when I can't take them puttering around anymore! For example last week I made them a competition around the house, well my hubby put it up but you know... Like an all day treasure hunt sort of thing, it kept them busy and mainly out of our hair - so we didn't feel as if they were quite puttering.. :P
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Yes & no. During the school year he is more likely to be in front of the tv or computer b/c the days are very draining for him and he needs to recover, but on the weekends he goes horseback riding & I'll drop him at friends' homes or have his friends here for the day. In the summer he will walk up to a friend's house, hang out at the park, ride his bike, walk the dogs, etc., but typically won't do all of those things on the same day. However, my son has medical issues that force him to limit his activity levels, sometimes severely, so I expect him to putter about the house, but when he is able, he's out & about doing what he can.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:29 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Sometimes, when their friends aren't home or it's cold outside so there's nothing to do. Otherwise they are outside playing with their friends. Since school started they get home, hurry to finish their homework and are out the door until dinner. Then they eat and are back out until bedtime. On weekends they are outside all day. I don't have a problem with it, though. If they are bored then they need to find something to do...something that doesn't involve the TV and Wii or the DS. They have toys, books, games, puzzles, etc.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:23 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• nope, i keep them acive, it is better for them IMO
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• no way. My DD is very active. I believe that children need an outlet. DD is almost 3, has plenty of friends for her age, is involved in dance & gymnastics
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2010