HOw do I keep my child focused?

Hello lovely ladies I am a 28 year old mom of a very intelligent little girl. I am having an issue.....I need help with trying to keep my child focused? Everyday I have to stay on her about getting ready for school in the morning, doing what she is supposed to in school, and doing her homework. Now don't get me wrong she is not a bad child she just have issues focusing on the task at hand. UGH PLEASE HELP ME...This is my first child so I am new to this and becoming frustrated....

lpeaches226

Asked by lpeaches226 at 8:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• With autism here, its Straterra
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• By teaching her to stay on task, encouraging her to do what needs to be done, giving her reminders when needed, and rewarding with praise when she does a good job.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 8:22 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I know that schools are good for this one, all the walls are so busy with pictures, wall art, and those kind of things that this is what causes kids to not focus. Too much busyness on the walls. Also for studing at home, the back ground noise is another issue. Getting ready in the morings, music on," so lets listen to that and forget what i am supose to do." These are things that i had to work with for myself when i was young and in school. ALl the way up to HS.. Its a challenage. But can be worked on. and with.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 8:23 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Well in the morning my house is quiet lol..No TV no music nothing just our family preparing for the day. If I am in another room she will just stand there as though she is not supposed to be preparing herself. I have to tell her step by step what to do when I know she is intelligent enough to understand
    lpeaches226

Comment by lpeaches226 (original poster) at 8:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would not. That is me personally. While the stakes are low I would not rescue my child and nag them. I would gently remind them before bed the night before and encourage them to pack the bag for the day. If she forgets then let the consequence happen. If she gets a bad mark or grade now it won't matter. What it will teach her is responsibility for her actions. If she is as smart as you say, she will learn mom is not her keeper and she better wake up, pack her bag and be prepared. If she fails now it is better to learn when the grades do not count towards college. But if she doesn't learn now then in high school she will still need you and in college as well. Since she is smart she will figure out that it is no fun to not doing work.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:03 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• A definite challenge keeping kids focused that i still work on to this day with preteens,... they still tend to get sidetracked. But hmmm,....doing it on purpose now to get out of homework?....lol perhaps. When they were toddlers the art of attempting to keep them focused was teaching them to sit through an entire 1.5 hour movie without getting up and running around the room. Spending 45 minutes just sitting with me and reading a book. When U push for those extra times on projects everyday a couple of minutes more each day can accumulate over a couple of months. Then,... there is the subject of foods,...certain foods can attribute to children not being able to focus and stay on task. High sugary foods,... High carbohydrate foods,...fruit snacks, cereals,...frozen waffles,...even chips and crackers with as much carbohydrates that these fooods have can tend to help with the mind not being able to focus. Hope this helps.
    Mariejen

Answer by Mariejen at 9:08 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• make a list for her that has everything that she needs to accomplish on it. If she is old enough to read it herself give it to her when you wake her up and tell her start by getting dressed and do your list. Maybe if you give her the responsibility she won't be standing around waiting for you to tell her what to do. If she is not old enough to read it on her own give her a couple of tasks at a time "get dressed and sit at the table for breakfast" after breakfast "put your shoes on and gather your homework into your backpack"
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• what grade is she in? have you had her tested? my oldest was like that until we got her into the gifted program. she was just too bored in class so she never stayied focus an anything. she is now in the third grade and it is a lot better.
    in other words, your child my be too smart for her class.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I agree with frogdawg
    She needs to learn responsibility and suffer the consequences of irresponsibility...
    Kids always want to make their problems your problems... being responsible is uncomfortable... your job is to make it MORE uncomfortable to be irresponsible.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:20 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• @noel1978 She is actually in the first grade now. She was tested last year and the issue was she was on another level from the rest of the kids in her class so they allowed her to have a split schedule. She would go to the first grade for the morning and back to kindergarten in the afternoon. The school year has just started so her teacher explained to be she will not be tested again for a couple of months.

@frogdawg you have a good point. My partner and I was discussing the consequences of her not staying on task this morning.

@foxracing43701 I think a "TO DO" list is a great idea..Thanks for the recommendation. She is able to read and if I have it posted what she is supposed to be doing it might make it a lil easier on me. I will definitely get on that ASAP..

LADIES YOU HAVE GIVEN ME SOME REALLY GOOD TOOLS TO USE I REALLY APPRECIATE IT
    lpeaches226

Comment by lpeaches226 (original poster) at 9:31 AM on Sep. 10, 2010