Is it okay to not let my son have something just because I don't like it?

I don't like football and I don't like the Packers or at least the obsession they get around here. I never have. My son, 8, likes football, mostly I think because his dad does (we're not together). He doesn't seem to have any interest in it unless there's someone else who's talking about it/watching it.
His birthday is this weekend and my boyfriend wants to buy him a packer jersey. I told him no. He said it wasn't fair to not let him have something just because I didn't like it.
Is it okay to say no? Or since there's no real harm in him having it do I have to say its okay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think that is a little unfair. IMO. I hate Anime' but my son loves it...I let him watch and buy stuff. I HATED Power Rangers back in the day. He had the costumes and all the toys.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Let your bf buy him the jersey if your son is interested in football, plus it will be a way for your bf & your son to have something together that they can bond over that they like & can have their time watching (& look at it this way, they watch football, Mommy gets to relax lol)
    jjk45xox

Answer by jjk45xox at 8:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My sons are like that. They claim to be all into something, but never mention it unless they just happen to see it on tv or someone says something. I think its ok, esp if the item is pricey or you know for a fact (like my kids) thats its going to sit in their room forgotten about. Thats a waste and I'll easily say no when they do that.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I am really not into Football either, but i bought my son his Dallas Cowboys things while my now ex was and still is a NY Jets fan. Oh yes i have had it all. Then my oldest daughter, a Dolphins fan. I would just get it as it is for him and sometimes these little things makes a worold of difference in thier eyes.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 8:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• or ya let the person he's sharing the interest with buy it for him.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• If it is something your son would like, I would let him have it. It isn't something dangerous or harmful to him and it's not like football is some radical extremist activity that will lead your son down a bad path towards drugs, crime & jail time. Your son is young and still discovering himself & what he likes. An interest in football at his age is very typical and it gives him something in common with his peers, helping him to create an identity among his friends.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:38 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• If you son is a fan and he would really enjoy the jersey, then yes you should let him have it. Most boys that age love football and it helps them to fit in with their peers. It's not like he wants something creepy or weird.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 8:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I think this is where parents make the biggest mistake with their kids.......kids are individuals and therefore will have their own likes and dislikes. Not allowing something to be bought for your kid just cause you don't like is a little selfish.
    staceysgorbach

Answer by staceysgorbach at 8:53 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would go with it.. I hated Barney in the day.... My son was coming up Barney. It really isn't up to parents to decide what a child should like and not like... They are becoming their own unique person with unique tastes and individuality.
    Mariejen

Answer by Mariejen at 8:57 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• you dont "have" to say ok, but at that age, if he is interested i would just let him have it. if it was something completely age inappropriate i would step in, but it's a jersey and if it will make him smile it won't hurt. I have let people give my son stuff that I wasn't too thrilled about, but he smiles and looks so happy that I would feel bad if I had tried to deny him that.
    stykir

Answer by stykir at 9:04 AM on Sep. 10, 2010