Anyone else think insurance is over priced

We pay two hundred every week but when I went to the doctor for my ear nose and throat infection I found out I had a two hundred dollar prescription cap but I will never make it so the visit cost me 78 dollars anyone else experience this gratefull to have insurance but tired of all the costs that do not pay the doctor bills?

pinkdragon36

Asked by pinkdragon36 at 8:59 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i do
    echokays

Answer by echokays at 9:09 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• of course its overpriced. all insurances are. just like car insurance, you more than likely never use it to its fullest, but on the off-chance yo do get banged up, you hope your covered well. it pays to read through and know all the fine print of your coverages, and the mail-outs they send when something changes. that way, no surprises.
    you can always appeal..sometimes you end up getting a little something for the trouble.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:05 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• For most people, the cost of insurance premiums + co-pays and things not covered is more than it would cost them to just pay for all their doctor visits out of pocket for the year and not have any insurance at all. That doesn't apply to people with serious ongoing health problems, but the typical person who gets a physical and maybe has a sinus infection or the flu once or twice a year is paying out 5 or 6 times what they'll EVER get back from it. They need to go back to how insurance worked before they invented HMOs. You pay a bare minimum premium, pay for office visits, etc out of pocket and submit them to insurance. If it's covered, you're reimbursed, but for the most part it's on you. You get true coverage for real emergencies like broken bones or cancer or expensive things like labor and delivery. You aren't paying your insurance $50 to only pay for $10 of a $20 prescription.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:06 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• ya, its a catch 22. But its better than paying full price for the medical stuff.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:02 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• YES! All insurance is too expensive.
    JOCKEYP2PMOM

Answer by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 9:10 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Yes. My health insurance tried to refuse to cover my Mirena. I told them you can pay 1,200 for it or you can pay 8,000 including hospital stay if I have a baby. My dr hates insurance companies and will code thing differently or put it through as medically necessary so they will cover things. I have an outstanding bill of 200 for lab work from a biopsy to check for cancer. But we do not need healthcare reform at all! Sarcasm.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:55 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Hell yes.
    momentofpeace

Answer by momentofpeace at 9:12 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Everything is more expensive. No big surprise. Think about how "sue happy" people are now. We have to help pay for the expenses incurred by all insurance companies after they get sued. So---lets stop suing---it is a racket.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:27 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Premiums have risen 131% in the last decade, and everyone seemed just fine with this and didn't think we needed health reform.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Who ARE these people that didn't want reform?? I don't know any. I do know a bunch that were screaming what we were getting wasn't reform....turns out those maniacs were right. None of the things that would have been helpful were included in the new law.

I think NP is correct.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:08 AM on Sep. 10, 2010