Americans should burn calories not Qurans. Thoughts?

I was watching CNN Hong Kong and a viewer from Japan made this comment.
I thought the US was no longer the 1# country for obestisy, Australia is. How long will it take for Americans to shake this image? Do you think Americans will ever be "fit"?

momentofpeace

Asked by momentofpeace at 9:11 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I took my mom to a doctor yesterday ~ just a family doc ~ and was rather sickened by the view of the personel working there. Not one of them under 200 pounds, and several that looked to be topping 300. WT?!?!?!

People either care about their weight, their health, and their lifestyles ... or they don't. I walk roughly 3 miles a day just caring for my critters, sling 50 pound sacks of feed, pitch poo, heft critters occasionally, and that is all before breakfast. Breakfast is our main meal and it's a big one ~ eggs, meat, potatoes ...

Than we hit the garden, there is canning and other processing, yard work, etc.

Our weight is good, our bloodwork is good (which bugs the doc since he knows what we eat lol), our lungs are clear (we smoke). We spend time at the puter, but we MOVE and we exercise, and the food we do eat is not processed. Some of us don't fit the 'image' but we know many do.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Nah SELF CONTROL and learning to use moderation ..and bring healthier foods to work it really is not hard you do not have to spend hours creating a healthy meal thats a cop out..it can be FASTER sometimes then taking the time to hit the FAT food drive through..

Making exercise part of your daily activities..shorten your PC time in exchange or whatever else..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• no, we like our conveniences too much.

my first thought is, who cares what a japanese (or any other country) says about americans burning things? we allow our own to burn our own flag..i see no difference.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• fewer fast food places?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:12 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Who cares?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:14 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I really do not care what the man had to say..but I have noticed the massive amount of overweight Americans for years now..I do not feel it should be forced each person has to decide if they want to be healthier/leaner or not (some overweight folks ARE actually in better health then thin ones).
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• That makes sense but the two issues---Quran burning ad calorie burning are so not related...I can't see why it was mentioned . BUT, it is true that there are way more cases of obesity in the USA than a few decades ago. I am about to attend my 50 year class reunion and I have browsed my high school yearbooks lately, noticing how very few fat students there were at my school. Our class had 398 students. Back then we didn't eat fast food and we ate smaller portions, got more exercise. obviously, since we were not sitting in front of a computer all the time. LOL.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I remember when most Americans were thin/average visualize a group of say 100 Americans from back then along side of a hundred of Americans now...

The group from back then would likely look like toothpicks in comparison...even when not underweight..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• The problem with Americans is that they tend to choose quantity over quality. Hence the huge fast food meals, whereas a lot of countries eat smaller portions, but a better quality of food.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:44 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/commerce/091125/obesity-epidemic-fattest-countries

http://www.infoplease.com/world/statistics/obesity.html#axzz0z8aPiQaQ

http://www.eatsmartagesmart.com/10-fattest-countries-in-the-world/

Well, it seems you can find lots of different lists, so who knows? I guess they at least all give us a pretty good idea of who the fattest of the fat in the world are!

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2010