Did you know that you can replace oil in recipies...

I just made a batch of banana bread last night and instead of putting 1.5 c of mashed bananas and 1/2 C of oil I put in 2 C of bananas and left out the oil completely. and it turned out really good- Very yummy fat free banana bread!

You can also do this with cake mixes- replace the oil with applesauce to make it fat free.

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 9:25 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I had heard about the applesauce substitution but have not tried it. Sounds like it would be yummy.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:27 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• its really good in muffins. i made some pb&j muffins using applesauce and it made it moist.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• hmmm imight have 2 try that i like bannana bread interestin
    echokays

Answer by echokays at 9:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I use applesauce all the time too.I have recently tried baby food as my daughter won't eat most of the fruits.
    Bibboo

Answer by Bibboo at 9:38 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Applesauce sounds kind of gross, but I will definately try it next time! I'm making cake this weekend for a birthday party! :)

I made brownies the other night and didn't want to use all that oil so I used a little more water and they were HORRIBLE! lol
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i always use apple sauce when i make cakes its MMMMMMMMMMM. And since i make the apple sauce my self there is no sugar or preservatives
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:42 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It doesn't even change the flavor at all and it makes the cake really nice and moist :)
    elizabiza

Comment by elizabiza (original poster) at 9:44 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• That is so cool! I did not know that!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:57 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I don't like the substitution for some things. It changes the texture of some baked goods, and not always in a good way! I do love using applesauce for muffins, but if I'm baking a regular cake I think it comes out awful with applesauce. I'll have to try it with banana bread - I planned to bake some tomorrow anyway and that sounds yummy!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 1:16 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• And it always tastes good :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2010