Ok, how should I approach this issue?

My son's name is Christopher, we do not call him Chris nor do we ever intend to call him Chris. If someday his friends call him Chris & he prefers this, that is fine. My problem is I have relatives who call him Chris, this bothers me since we did not name him Chris! How do I tell them this is not his name?! He is 4 years old.

Pumkin67

Asked by Pumkin67 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• say "were actually calling him christopher, and thats what he prefers."
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I felt the same way with my Joshua. I don't cal lhim "Josh" and never wanted to call him Josh. Some family members call him Josh, and if he doesn't correct them (which he's been known to do) then I just let it be. However, if someone asks if he would rather Joshua or Josh...it's always Joshua. Just tell them the you would rather him be called Christopher. It shouldn't offend them, and if it does oh well...
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 3:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• if we had a boy we were going to name him jakob, but knew people would call him jake, and we didnt really like that name... so we changed it :( but were having a girl lol.. but i know what you mean...
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My name is Victoria and my mom hates the name Vicki (one of my dad's exs was apparently named Vicki) so they just would correct people nicely and say she actually goes by Victoria or Tori. Just be polite and consistent. They'll get it.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• He is your child and you need not worry about offending others. You are the one that named him just remind people that he goes by Christopher.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 4:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• you are just going to have to get over it. you are being nitpicky.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• ^^ I personally don't think it's nitpicky to want your family to call your child the name that you chose for him.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• my son is a Robert. my IL's call him bobby. my folks call him Robby. We call him robert, he calls himself robert. I'm not going to get all crazy bc people who love him call him by a nickname. i got better things to worry about.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I understand you saying you want him called Christopher, just tell people that that's what you'd prefer.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Well you asked for it when you named him that! Either way in the end he will be a Chris...That's just one of those names that will automatically be shortened by people...Kind of like Benjamin...Alot of people will call you Ben.
    Anonymous