help, why can't he get a job?

my hubby has 15 years working in restaruants, and now no one will hire him. he's done everything from dishes to prepcook, headcook, and kitchen man. why won't anyone hire him?

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 9:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• my dad has had jobs from cleaning, to owning his own business, and he can't ge a job anywhere either. They tell him he is over qualified.
    MsLouLou

Answer by MsLouLou at 9:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My husband was just recently let go. He has worked in kitchens as a cook too. It's only been a few days of searching, but it seems that the turn over rate in that area is quite often. I hope he finds something soon. Best of luck!
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 9:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Restaurants are not doing well in this economy and so they are watching their expenses carefully and keeping their staff as small as possible. Be persistent. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:36 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Is he putting in applications or resumes? how is he interviewing? is he even getting calls or interviews? is he cold calling or is he responding to adds? does he have bad credit or things on his record, or a bad driving record? what does he expect with the position? how are his references? what does he physically look like when he applies or interviews?
    there are so many factors that play into this.....we need some more information in regards to his past history and what is currently happening before we can really answer your question.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Times are hard and the economy sucks. And even businesses that aren't feeling a crunch will use that as an excuse to not hire. Good luck to your hubby in finding something.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:37 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Either there just aren't jobs available OR they Are looking at his resume assuming they would 'have' to pay him more because of his experience OR he has had to many jobs in the last few years and look unreliable. There are just so many factors and sine I don't know you DH and I haven't seen his resume I can't help to much! Good luck.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:37 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Has he applied everywhere he possibly can? Is he setting his requested pay grade too high? Is he open to do any position they need him for?

Times are really tough right now and ESPECIALLy in restaurants because everyone is flocking to them for jobs they know are always needed.

Good luck and stay strong! Tell him to go to a temp agency for until he gets a steady job. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• He probably has TOO much experience. In this recession, I cannot imagine restaurants are doing so well. They would have to comp him a lot more than someone with less experience. Is he trying high class restaurants? That will probably be his best bet. They usually look for people with more experience. Its a tough market. I was laid off in May. I have an impressive resume but only have had a handful of calls and one job offer that didn't pay enough. Maybe you guys can open your own restaurant. Then success will be based on what you guys do and you can make the move out of corporate America. GL!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Maybe he should broaden his search to include other things besides just restraunts. there are other things in the food industry. Have him apply at Hotels, bars, hospitals, in the food depts. Hopefully he will find something soon. Sorry that he is having bad luck so far
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 9:48 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Is he applying to jobs he's overqualified for? Applying to jobs a person is overqualified for does not increase his changes of being hired. If he has 15 years experience, he should be going for management positions.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2010