My oldest son wants to grow a beard. Help!

My oldest son is almost 15 and facial hair is starting to grow. He wants to grow a beard. How do i get him around this or should i let him be scruffy for a while. ? What would u do?

Mariejen

Asked by Mariejen at 9:45 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I say just let him do it, my son started to grow a goatie - omg it was ugly. It was just the thing a few of the boys were doing and my son though it was cool he could grow one faster than anyone else he know. It was kind of this competitive thing for them, its his face as long as he grooms himself I say its okay. They are trying to find their own way, trying to do new things to individualize themselves...there's no harm, you may hate it (I sure did) but it will probably be a passing phase.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Why wouldn't you let him? It really is his face and he needs to understand what it is like to have one or for that matter having to shave it. He will quickly decide which way he wants to go. Let him be for now.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:48 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Well, it's his face and you can't shave it for him so if it's what he wants I guess let him do it. As long as he is continuing to maintain it's shape and not just looking like a man of the mountains!
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 9:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• If his school is ok with it, I personally would let him try it. What can it hurt that a few minutes with a razor can't fix ? Of course my hubby tells our son (14) NO on dying his hair.
    Bibboo

Answer by Bibboo at 9:50 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• eh, I say let him do it... there are too many other things to argue with teens about... IMO hair is not one of those things... If you don't make a big deal out of it then he will probably get tired of it after a while and start to shave again.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:53 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would let him grow it. It is not really hurting anything and it is a way for him to express himself.

Tell him that making "choices" is a privlege that requires him to maintain his attitude. We let my son grow his hair like he wanted but when he got a "teen attitude" we had it cut.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 9:59 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• what's the big deal, it's only hair. He'll probably decide it's irritating and shave it off himself. Give him the chance to try it out.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:01 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You may hate it but I'd let him do it. He might hate it as much as you do once he grows it. If he's got a few hairs he wants to show them off as best as he can ya know. Males are still quite primal. :-)~
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 10:02 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Why is there a problem with a beard? I would let him. I don't understand what the big deal is not bashing but it's just hair can be cut
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 10:06 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would just let him do it for a while. He will probably get tired of it soon enough.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2010