how do you stop temper tantrums?

bamakat

Asked by bamakat at 9:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ignore them lol if they realize ur not goin 2 constantly b there and tellin them to stop that will take the fun out of their tantrum they wont get the attetion they want
    echokays

Answer by echokays at 9:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• when my 4yo throws tantrums I put him in his room and I telll him if he is going to act like a baby he can take naps like a baby. when my 17mo throws tantrums I ignore it. both seem to stop them.
    MsLouLou

Answer by MsLouLou at 9:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I send my DD to her room and tell her she can come out when she is calm. Been doing this for almost a year and they don't ever last that long and she knows when she is sent to her room we mean business. I also ignore her when she starts in with the whining.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:50 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• First I remove them form the situation, then I get on their level and let them know what they are doing is not acceptable. Then I let them know if the tantrum continues they will loose (whatever it is for that child) then I tell them they have 3 min to get it together. If it goes past that I will take away their privilege and sometimes add a paddling once we get home to it but that has only happen with one of my kids a handful of times. the paddle rarely comes off the wall. Usually privilege loss or the Naughty Spot if we are at home does the trick.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 9:51 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Send him to his room if we're at home.If we're in the car we let him know no one will talk to him until he stops screaming,he hates being ignored so this usually works for us.
    Bibboo

Answer by Bibboo at 9:59 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• By enforcing a negative consequence for the tantrum each and every single time. Once a child discovers that tantrums will not get the desired results, they'll stop.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 9:59 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• put them in their room and when they are finished they can come out.
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 10:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Ignore him. If that doesnt work, he goes in his room, if he still continues to scream, I shut the door... and he instantly stops.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Ignore. Do not give in and "reward" the tantrum ever. Consistency can be hard, but it pays off when children learn that having a fit NEVER pays off for them.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I'll start off ignoring her. If she persists (and she's a stubborn one), I'll put her in her room and tell her she can come out when she's calm.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:33 AM on Sep. 11, 2010