birth control causing depression?

After I had my son I was on lo estrogen 24 for 4 months. Right around the 3rd month I started devoloping depression and didn't realize it and didn't quit taking it til 4 1/2 months. I was crying all the time and started to hate my life and yada yada. I had some other pretty severe side effects that the dr said the bc wouldn't have caused however as soon as I quit taking it those effects stopped immediately and I has having them about every other day to every two-three days.

Well I am now on the mini pill and am starting to feel depressed again and slight anxiety. And I realized today that this is my 3rd month on it. About the same time it hit last time. I don't want to quit taking my bc though. I don't want another baby right now and I can't do the IUD because I don't like the thought of it and we don't have that kind of money to spend on it.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

amy31308

Asked by amy31308 at 10:00 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Health

• I didn't but one of my best friends did... she had the same thing using an IUD too :(
    they finally just switched to using condoms
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:04 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• The same thing happened to me. I became depressed and VERY moody. I didn't know what was wrong with me, I just felt out of whack. My doc didn't think that the pill was my problem, but she suggested that I try something different, so I started using Nuvaring. Nothing changed. I still felt the same way My hubby was the one who realized what was going on with me. A few months after starting Nuvaring, he was deployed for 4 months. I stopped using it while he was gone. Shortly after he got home, I started it back up again. He noticed right away that I wasn't "normal" and suggested that I stay off of ALL hormone-related birth control for a while to see if it made any difference. He noticed the improvement within days. He's very happy to have me back to normal. This was almost 8 years ago, and I haven't felt out of whack since.
    sjjeaster

Answer by sjjeaster at 12:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2010