• In the Spotlight:

I need help! Terrible twos!?!?!

I feel like I am at a loss. I feel like I am constintly yelling at my 2yr old, and I no longer have patience. I know that his behavior is normal, but I need a different way of going about handling him. He is very strong willed, and the word "NO" is like some kind of joke to him. Spanking doesnt work, timeout doesnt work.... I am home with him all day, and had not planned on putting him in any type of daycare setting until he was ready for pre-k, but I need ideas of things that I can do to help us work better together. I need learning activities, and projects, and ways to disipline him to where we are not at eachothers throats all day long?

ZachsMommy9266

Asked by ZachsMommy9266 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's tough! I can relate, just got over it wil my son! Just try your best to be patient and calm. I know harder said than done. I do my best to stay calm, it will help you deal, but I still loose it sometimes.
    Let him know that what you say you mean. You have to follow through on punishments or consequences as we have in our house. Don't make unrealistic threats. Point out to him when he's behaving how you get to do fun things as well as when he's being naughty point out what he is missing out on.
    Good Luck
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I agree with the above answer. I'm going through it with my DD, except that she can't talk yet, so on top of the Terrible 2's, she gets frustrated when we don't understand what she needs. For her, the worst punishments are being put in time out in a room behind a closed door (like the laundry room), being put to bed or down for a nap without being rocked first, or having snack taken away. Your son has to have some sort of thing that is most valuable to him. Once you figure that out, you'll be in good shape. In the mean time, plan lots of play dates, run a lot of useless errands (if he likes going places. Mine do, so we run a lot of errands), take him to playgrounds to tire him out, etc. Good luck! I'm holding my breath until we get through this stage too!
    icook

Answer by icook at 5:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• When my DD was this age, she fell in love with the "Land Before Time" video series. It was the very first she would ever sit through. Maybe you could get your son interested in something like that, and use it as a treat. If he eats well, if he plays for 1/2 hour with you, then he watch his movie. There are SO MANY of them now; my DD has outgrown them, but we still keep them in the closet when young ones come to visit. I also wouldn't worry about his being "strong willed". Every child this age is! LOL. Instead of being angry and loud, just be firm. Grab his arm and place him where he needs to be, and ignore him for a duration (10 minutes, whatever) until he gets the message that good behavior is rewarded, and rebellion is not. Good luck!
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I find with my 2 year old that if I'm calm, he's calmer. I have been doing Love and Logic parenting with my LO and it really helps. There is a love and logic group here on cafemom. I suggest you take a peek. It promotes the parents being calm and in control and using key phases to get you childs attention.
    I also try to keep my Lo busy by going to the park, reading to him, coloring, play doh, having him help me clean. I include him in on everything, because he wants to help an it keeps him busy.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:36 AM on Oct. 16, 2008