Has anyone dealt with PTSD in a child?

I need lots of help. I took in a relatives child and they have severe PTSD. The child is 5 and is having daily nightmares, will go from laughing to a look of anger, peeing pants and saying it is on purpose (one day was over 5 times and 3 back to back). The child hits siblings and screams alot. I know it is not their fault but I don't know how to help (hugs/kisses don't seem to be enough). My kids never did any of this. In fact their teenage attitudes are a welcome blessing as I know it will adjust once I take away the computer.

I am calling a counsler and pastor today as I didn't know the issues were this bad. Please don't judge me I was told we get months to transition instead we were given 4 days to go from 2 happy healthy kids to 4 and 2 with alot of emotional pain and suffering. Again I know it is not their fault I am asking for help on coping and helping to get them through it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think you are doing the best thing for them - you are talking to your pastor and to a counselor to get them help. I've seen kids with ptsd, and I've seen adults with it (the ptsd in kids has mostly been from abuse, with the adults, it's mostly been ones who have been in combat situations).

The biggest misconception about it - regardless of age or what caused it - is that you can just "love the person through it". That's NOT true. YES, they need a lot of love and understanding and patience to get through it, but they need more than that, too. They need professional help. Just like you can't "just love someone through" if they have cancer, or have lost a limb, etc (you would love and support them as they got professional care), you have to get professional care for this.

I think it's great that you care about and are helping these kids, and that you're willing to get them the help they need!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:23 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Yes, my nephew had severe PTSD episodes following witnessing his father's death. His mom runs the widows group on here (kateandjona)
    Calm consistency is absolutely necessary. A routine helps. Lots of reassurance is necessary. Lots of love is great, providing it is offered with lots of guidance and consistent expectations. Punishing the inappropriate behaviors is necessary, because no matter what the "cause", the behaviors are still inappropriate.
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 10:59 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I had it, and still do! my Bio mother abandoned me in a bowling alley as a baby, my father was murdered and i was raised by my paternal grandparents and my papa dies when i was 16. My uncle (dads brother) also diesd when I was 14. It was difficult, and i acted out got into tons of trouble and had to live in a group hoime for 2 years! I am very well now, but Isuggest counseling and depending on the childs age, anxiety medications! GL
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2010