Pets yes or no?

At one point we had a lab/golden retriever, a cat, a guinee pig, and 3 fish. Well first the tank cracked and we lost our fish, then we had to get rid of the dog, then the cat got hit. So we only have the guinnee pig. My 4yr old son keeps asking for a cat or dog. My problem is i'm the only one who ever cleans up after them, feeds them, or takes care of them and i don't want another animal. Am I being unfair to my son? When he is old enought o do the stuff himself i wont have a problem with it. What should i do?

wildwiccan83

Asked by wildwiccan83 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Pets

• It isn't fair to the dog if you can't be there for it, so I would explain that to your 4 y/o in terms he can understand. I'm sure he wouldn't want to dog to be sad & lonely, so if you explain it to him that way, he may feel better about not having a dog. Maybe you can get him a virtual dog? Or take him to the local pet store to play with the puppies when he needs his "doggie fix"? Before we got our two dogs, we used to visit the local shelters & pet stores to play with their dogs a couple of times a month.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:46 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I have a ton of pets myself. And I know they are my responsibility because my kids are too young to do so, but I want them to have the experience. But if you are going to resent cleaning up after them, then just don't do it. But I will say this, I also have a boy old enough to care for his pets and he still doesn't.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:20 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Don't do it if you don't want to have to clean up after it. I finally told my kids we were never getting a dog, I know I'd have most of the responsibility. I don't have the time, and we travel frequently - kennels get expensive and it's not fair to the dog.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:24 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• thats why we had to get rid of the dog. We were not home enough to let the poor thing out for the bathroom and no one ever wanted to play with him.
    wildwiccan83

Comment by wildwiccan83 (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My kids have never been responsible for the upkeep of our animals. They are mine and I take care of them. I would never buy a pet for my kids
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:43 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• A guinea pig is enough pet for a 4 year old.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:00 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• We said no to cats and dogs and our kids asked incessantly. It was the right decision for us. We did let them have a guinea pig and they lost interest in it very quickly.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:08 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• yeah Elizabr. i think that is his problem he has lost interest in the GP because he can't really play with it. I'm thinking of breaking down and letting him get a cat from the shelter but only if he feeds and waters. I guess i will get stuck with the nasty litter box
    wildwiccan83

Comment by wildwiccan83 (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My kids are too young to take care of a pet, so I wouldn't get a pet for them if I didn't want to take care of it. The cats are mine, and one of them is 7 years older than my oldest child. My daughter wants a bunny, but I have told her no until she's old enough to take care of it without my help. My husband and kids want a puppy, but I'm really afraid I will be the one that ends up being the primary caretaker, so I'm not so excited about that.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• wait till he is old enough and let him pick out the pet and tell him it is his responsibiltiy
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2010